Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mission Accomplished!! Please Critique!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mission Accomplished!! Please Critique!!

Well, a few days ago I mentioned that I was a woman on a mission to see my first ever snowy owl! Well, after almost daily trips to the marina in my city and Racine which is about 40 minutes north of me and also south into Illinois about a 1/2 hour from where I live ...I FINALLY SAW ONE!! I am doing the happy dance!!!

I know these aren't fantastic but please let me know what you think. I have MANY to go thru so I want to make sure I am on the right track as far as brightness, white balance, etc. etc. My screen isn't calibrated so I hope they look ok. I am hoping I will walk away with at least a handful really good ones and don't mess them up in post by over-processing or under-processing. There was some shadows that I tried to lighten. On some, my focus wasn't spot on and I may have tried to sharpen too much to compensate. I tend to make things worse when I'm done!

Suggestions would be appreciated before I go thru too many of these. Thanks Much!!

IMG_9511 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

IMG_9417 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

IMG_9408 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

IMG_9481 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

BTW - Thank you again Pat and Jonathan for letting me know about the ebird website ...I never would have found this bird without it!!

Happy New Year!!!

Denise
    Last edited by ddt0725; 01-01-2012 at 03:16 AM.

They look good to me. Congratulations Denise. Nice set of photos.

Denise - Congratulations, I am glad you were able to find one. They are pretty birds, and yours look great. The white balance looks good, and the eyes are not over sharpened (seems to be a common error people do with these birds). The first one could use a little lightening of the eyes.

Really cool shots.

A couple days ago, I got real close to one, but it was to early in the morning and the light was horrible... so the pictures did not turn out at all.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

So happy for you! And a little jealous too! Nice captures.

Great shots, Denise! Bill W, Brant and I spend most of a day together earlier this month chasing reports of a local snowy, and came up dry.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Great shots, Denise! Bill W, Brant and I spend most of a day together earlier this month chasing reports of a local snowy, and came up dry.
    You guys gotta head over my way now ...I know where one hangs out on a regular basis!! I sure am going back soon since I had to leave before he was in flight! That is my next mission ...SOIF (snowy owl in flight) right from take off!

Thank you!! I did notice that these birds do have to be perched just right if the sun is out! If slightly off, you can end up with one bright eye and one very dark eye like I did in a number of shots! Also, on some I used my extender ...big mistake, right when his wings were spread fully out and I did not manual focus very well A few I didn't do half bad ...the last shot is manual focus with the extender! I'm lucky it didn't sell before I saw this bird!

What was funny about today though was many, many photographers were out scouting the same areas looking for the snowy owls and I was the first to spot him! It didn't take long before photographer after photographer set-up behind me, afraid to go along side me like I had first ownership I guess! Anyway, I couldn't help but wonder if anyone was from TDP ...amazing how this place always comes to mind! But by the sounds I heard from behind me, nikon clicks were in abundance ...and I think one indiscreet sounding tamron lens!

*books plane to US*.
    Love em, not sure if you used a CPL, but the sky is nice and blue as if you did anyway. The Karate Kid / Tai-Chi pose is great (maybe could go 1 less on the sharpness though). Still, I'd be hanging that on my wall...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Nope, no CPL ...I sold all of my cpl's but it was a very nice sunny day up until about 3:00. These were taken between noon and 1:00. I was so lucky to have the sun behind me! I will try and reduce some of the sharpening on the karate kid shot. It was starting to get alittle windy and Mr. Owl was having a tough time at some moments balancing himself on the pointed rooftop.

Congratulations, Denise --- they are all excellent. I think you did a great job with the exposure and processing. This is a very nice way to finish off the year, on a very high note. It's a great omen for 2012!

Happy New Year!