Thread: Looking to buy new lens......

Looking to buy new lens......

Hi all and happy new year,
    I have not posted in a while but i have a quick question.I just traded in my 50d and upgraded to the 7d and now im looking to buy my first prime lens. I have the 100-400L and the kit lens 18-135 that came with my 7d.Im thinking about gettin the 50 1.2 L or 85 1.2 L and just wanted to get some opions on what anyone who may have these lenses thinks and why. Also are these good choices for the 7d or should i go another way like the 70-200 ll L. I would like to get a prime but not dead set on it just yet and i will be mainly useing lens for portrait shooting of my son and close up stuff like that.

Thanks again Rod

I spent xmas day with the 85/1.8 glued to the 7D taking shots of kids running around, here's some thoughts:
    AF is allegedly faster than the 85/1.2, less weight of glass to move around. Even so, there were a lot of OOF shots because they moved so fast (had the flash on and about 1/200s).
    Even at f/2.8 the DOF was very thin, couple that with the fast-moving kids and there were a fair few sharp ears and blurry eyes/noses. The 85/1.2 may have a wider aperture, but if I had one it'd be stopped down to f/2.8 also.
    For sit-down portraits and slower-moving subjects, i'd have already bought the 85/1.2 if I could afford it (it's on my long-long-long term wishlist, right behind the TS-E 24, 200-400, 1DX, and winning the lottery).

For macro with the 85/1.8 and others using Tubes, here's a test I did, you can almost get to 1:1 max mag.

Actually, now that I think about it, combine those two, and I think i'm going to recommend the 100mm f/2.8L Macro. You get 1:1 macro, you get a very-nice IS, you get a fast-aperture/usable-DOF tradeoff. The only downsides are that you can get a background-meltingly-fast f/1.2 (which would need a very nicely still subject and live-view MF), and you may need to step back a few feet compared to the wider lenses (how long are the rooms in your house?)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Before getting my 5DII, I used the 85mm f/1.2L II on my 7D for portraits - despite the relatively slow AF, I think it's great for that use. I had the 85mm f/1.8 previously, and the L version delivers better bokeh as well as shallower DoF. I liked the framing and DoF of the 85L on the 7D so well, that after getting the 5DII, I also got the 135mm f/2L, since that is the FF-equivalent of the 85L on APS-C.

Since you're using a 7D, here are a few examples:

EOS 7D, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, 1/1250 s, f/1.4, ISO 100

EOS 7D, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, 1/2000 s, f/1.6, ISO 100

EOS 7D, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, 1/1250 s, f/1.6, ISO 100

John, your photos are absolutely beautiful and no argument from me...the Canon 85mm f/1.2 is a superb lens but I have to push the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 here. It's a very sweet lens at a lower price and less weight. I too started with the Canon 85mm f1.8 but so lusted for the Canon 85mm f1.2. I bought the Sigma 85mm and have never regretted it!

Good Luck with your decision! Be sure to post what you decide!

Denise

I think it depends on how/where you shoot, how much you like to change lenses, and what else is in your kit.

A good friend of mine who is a pro sold his 135L and 85 f1.2 to buy the 70-200 f2.8 II when it came out. He worshiped those lenses but found that he wasn't using them enough to justify having them, and he didn't have anything longer than 135mm. He now worships the 70-200, uses it extensively and hasn't looked back. BUT, and this is a big but, he has the 50 f1.2 for low light.

Here's one consideration, which was a major factor in my friend's decision: even on his 5dII, he felt the 85 was often too long to use indoors. On your 7D, an 85mm lens won't get much use indoors unless it's a very large space. I have the 85 f1.8, and it's rare that I use it indoors. In fact, I sold my 50 f1.4, in part, because it was often too long indoors.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies,
    I have been reading a lot of reviews and wow this is a tough one lol,but im startin to think that the new 70-200 L is the way to go and with the rebate extention how could u go wrong. I have not read 1 bad thing about this lens ( except for its heavy lol ) but i have the 100-400 L now and i dont have a problem carring it all day so i think the 70-200 is a much better choice and offers much more flexabilty with weather sealing,is.and 77mm not 72mm and not just being stuck at 85mm so thanks again everone for the replies....

Rod