Thread: Reikan FoCal - Automatic AF Micro adjustment software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    After reading another forum post indicating it works in an XP virtual machine, I think I'll try EOS utility on the VM to see if it connects to the camera (suggested on FoCal's website), and if it does, I'll buy and try.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    After reading another forum post indicating it works in an XP virtual machine, I think I'll try EOS utility on the VM to see if it connects to the camera (suggested on FoCal's website), and if it does, I'll buy and try.
    John; I was hoping you would. I am curious how the software results will compare with the settings you arrived at with the lensalign.

@ Dr Croubie, I had the same question when I started using the lensalign. My thinking was that if I new this making adjustments would be easy. What I have found is that the cameras autofocus is not accurate enough for the answer to matter. The DOF and the amount the AF shots vary is more than +/-1 will cover. This is one reason many have problems when trying to find the correct setting for a lens. Wide lenses are harder to pinpoint than long lenses. Zoom lenses can vary over their range. Cameras are only accurate and precise to a certain point. Using the lensalign gave me valuable lessons about what your camera and lens really do and what you should expect.

Again, I spent the better part of the day working with FoCal and my two long lenses (500 and 100-400) with no success.

Two major issues:

1. Although the software easily and quickly recognizes the smaller target, I couldn't get the software to recognize/validate the larger target provided for use with longer lenses (above 300mm). Tried several reprints, followed the instructions, setup in daylight, etc--but still no luck

2. When set up on the smaller target, the software validates it just fine, but I consistantly rec'd the "inconsistant results" error which is why I thought the larger target might do the trick. I tried my distance to target at 12, 20 and 27 meters but was still unable to get any kind of consistancy with the test. When in live view mode, the focus did slightly drift in and out---like heat waves, but I understand this is normal with long lenses. Oh, and the outside temp was 34 degrees F-- I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but thought I would mention it. I also was shooting from my dining room out my back door and my house sits on a slab so no vibration there.

3. I am still happy with the software (at least for the short lenses) and am hoping to get a reply back from Reikan on this issue. If anyone has any suggestions please post them. At present, I am out of ideas.
    Bob