Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading: how do you like the 60D?

I pulled the trigger on the 60D yesterday. I'm unbearably excited, and I have to wait until the 23rd for it to arrive.

I had had my eye on the refurb at Canon Direct ($799) this whole time. But I wanted to wait to see if one would show up at Adorama. They have the 1 year warranty, and one of my initial searches had come up with an (expired) listing on Adorama for a refurb body for only $749 with free shipping. So I waited and watched, and one finally did show up on Adorama. But it was $899.

So I went with the one from Canon Direct. I know it's a (much) shorter warranty, but I already have a purchase from them (EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro) which I've been extremely pleased with. And there's no sales tax in Oregon, so no worries there.

I want to thank all of you for your input! Once again, TDP Forum members have given me the kind of honest and objective advice I need to make a decision. Thank you!

Now to find a buyer for my 3 year old XSi. I have a classmate who is interested. Craigslist here in the Portland area is terrible. I can't get any interest in anything I post there, even aggressively priced. I'm thinking that $275-$300 is the best I'll be able to get for this body (the camera, that is).

Again, thank you all!

Alex

Alex, Congrats! Enjoy it.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

The 60D came yesterday, 3 days EARLY shipped on standard FedEx from Canon Direct. I immediately started shooting. The most amazing thing I've noticed so far is....well there's more than one thing.

LOVE the bigger feel of the camera. LOVE the solid sound of the shutter and the larger viewfinder. LOVE having auto ISO in Av, M, etc. Speaking of ISO, 1600 on the 60D is light-years better than 1600 on the XSi. The LCD is crazy good. The top LCD is super handy, never really considered how useful it would be. The Quick access button is amazing.

I'm going to have fun using my flash as a slave unit. I'm going to have fun with video.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Alex
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Alex,

Congrats, enjoy the new camera. I think it will be quite a step up from the XSi.

Dave

I was in the same boat but I upgraded from my XSi to a T3i. I love the higher ISO capabilities and it's sharper screen. Of course the 60D has that and more. Once I determined the 7D was out of reach I figure I'd save even more by going with the T3i. I have always avoided live view use because I feel like the more the shutter is open, the more dirt the sensor will collect BUT using the flip out screen with live view to get low angle pics of my boys (one and three) has been pretty cool. I also like the fact that you can turn it towards the body to protect it.

Oh, yes, built in flash control beats the heck out of an external controller.

I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I went with the T3i vs. the 60D because it seemed like the "sweet spot" for getting most of the features I wanted. Same sensor, articulating screen, etc... Microfocus adjustment would have been nice but the 7D was way out of budget, and lacked the video-friendly aspects of T3i. Now that I have learned a bit, I can actually understand some of the features T3i does not have, but hey. You gotta pick your comfort zone. I figure I can shoot this for 5 years, learn a bit, and by then I can afford to buy whatever is the best crop-frame body of 2016. I do think I'll stay with the 1.6X crop rather than FF, though. The telephoto lenses are insanely expensive, and I appreciate the boost from the crop sensor.