Thread: Tax returns and off camera lighting

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tax returns and off camera lighting

With tax season comes camera gear. This year it will come in the form of a new laptop with workstation discrete graphics and an IPS panel display, as well as PW TT5's, a TT1 with AC3 controller, two more flashes, and light modifiers/stands. (If you didn't read the thread, my new year's resolution was to become a proficient strobist.)

I have a question about the flashes for you strobists on here (Sean, you listening?!). I have a 430ex II right now. The two flashes I have on the handy little spreadsheet I made (that already has all my tax returns spent by my count) are 580ex II's as well as the CP-E4 battery packs. Other than the loss of the battery packs and weather sealing, is there anything else that I would lose by getting two more 430's instead? I've read a little about the guide numbers, but it means almost nothing to me. How much of a power difference are we really talking here?

As far as light modifiers go, I'm looking primarily at Wescott products with Manfroto lightstands/umbrella swivels.
    *Wescott 60" Optical White Satin umbrella with black cover
    *Wescott Compact 43" White Satin umbrella with black cover
    *Wescott Apollo Orb Speedlight Kit
    *Rogue Flash Bender - Large

Anything you would suggest I get instead as far as modifiers go? Or is this a pretty sound set-up for a budding strobist?

And before someone mentions it, I'm sticking with Canon here so I can retain eTTL functionality.. as it does have it's uses.

Thanks guys!

-Rocco
    Last edited by Rocco; 01-07-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers