Thread: Going to Japan in March: Which lenses to bring?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Take my lenses... and me with them.

Have a good trip!
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I just got back from Japan. Obviously it depends on your style, but what I found myself using the most often was 35-40mm equivalent (for street photography) and "as wide as possible" (for cityscape and landscape). Unfortunately for me that was 29mm equivalent, but I'm assuming since you have all that L glass you have a full frame body as well. In that case, I recommend the 17-40 and the 35 for day and night, respectively, if you want to save carry weight all day. If you do a lot of telephoto stuff (not my style), add the 135. Could be useful if you go places that you can't get up close, of which there are a decent number.

For what it's worth, packing and daily carrying are a totally different issue. I packed my nifty fifty but ended up using the 18-55 90+% of the time and only swapping to the 50mm at night, and never carrying both lenses with me. It was great to feel unburdened and I don't really feel like I "missed" any shots I would have gotten by carrying both at once.

Have fun in Japan!