• 5DMkII (new/used)

14 66.67%
  • 5D (original) and a lens

2 9.52%
  • WAIT (5DMkIII etc....)

4 19.05%

Thread: $2k better spent: 1DsMkII vs 5DMkII

Wink $2k better spent: 1DsMkII vs 5DMkII

Which is $2k better spent? The 1DsMkII (used obviously) or a new or used 5DMkII?

Okay... I like having video but don't NEED it... IQ and focusing are paramount. The 5DMkII has a larger and better quality screen (I like that) but the 1DsMkII has better focusing, weather-resistance, integrated grip, frame rate (not by much) and lower MP, which I see as a plus as I don't need 21MP.

What about things like ISO performance and such? Can anyone chime in?

I have a guy locally selling a 1DsMkII for $2k. I know that I can get a used, and possibly a new 5DMkII for the same price. I'm leaning toward the 5D, but am I forgetting anything? OR.... an original 5D for half the price and put the other $1k into the 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM or a rainy day....

You say focusing and IQ are paramount, but that you don't need 21mp. What do you mean by IQ, then? Are you just talking about noise & artifacts?

The 5DII has the edge in sensitivity. The 1DsII has better focusing on moving objects. It is a tough choice. I'd go 5DII, though, unless I was planning to shoot primarily moving targets.

Well I'm mostly talking about the ISO performance, colors/contrast, and the depth of field (which is I suppose is the same across all relative sensor-sizes).
    Focusing has nothing to do with IQ, but I'm interested in something that focuses well too (obviously), though I won't be shooting PRIMARILY moving objects.... I don't know... I just really want a 1DX or 5DMkIII or whatever they call it!!! UGH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    ... I just really want a 1DX or 5DMkIII or whatever they call it!!! UGH!!!!
    You aren't going to get a 1DX or a 5D III (if/when it ever exists) for $2,000.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Well, the 5DII will have better iso performance. I'm not sure there will be any real difference in color. [EDIT: DOF is exactly the same, just as you say]

Keep in mind, also, that the 1DsII is more responsive (shorter shutter lag time). Once again this only matters for moving objects.

Personally, I would prefer the 5DII, partly because of the superior lcd screen and because of features like live view and video. The 5DII af, while a little sluggish and not the best for tracking, is very accurate and works in low light (it is rated to work in lower light than the 1DsII af). I shoot mostly still objects but I do take a lot of pictures of moving people, and faster response / better af would be an advantage.

It's a trade off, and there is no perfect answer. If you shoot only landscape/portrait or only sports, the choice is easy. If you shoot a combination (like I do), then it is not
    Last edited by Jon Ruyle; 01-17-2012 at 12:58 AM.

I voted for the 5DII. The 5D and lens is tempting. I own a 5D and still love it but if I were in the market to spend $2k I would go with the mkII. I also have thought about the 1DsII. Last year I purchased a used 1DIIn and love it. There is the 'L' disease and the 1D/Ds disease. I have both now. I think my next camera will have to be a used 1DsmkIII. I can not see me spending $7 or $8k on a camera. The 16mp of the mkII is enough for me but the small screen is a show stopper. Plus I want the AF micro-adjustment on my next camera.
    Mark

I own both the 5DII and 1DsII. I use both in tandem, I usually have a 2.8 zoom on the 5DII and fast prime on the 1DsII due to the ISO/sesitivity discrepancy.

If I could only own one I'd take the 5DII. Mostly for it's sensitivity. The 1DsII falls off pretty hard after 800. The 5DII's sensor is much easier to keep clean also.
    The colors are slightly different between the 2 but I actually prefer the 1DsII. Something about it is film like to me. The noise is more grain like than the 5DII also.

That said, the 1DsII is much more fun to shoot with. The AF, reduced shutter lag and it's much better spot metering just make it a joy. If you reduce the AF points to 11 you can spot meter with any of them. And, it is accurate. The 1DsII's LCD screen is bad but sometimes that is ok because the metering is so much better. Battery life isn't the greatest even with a new battery. I'd say 5DII can shoot about 2x the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
    That said, the 1DsII is much more fun to shoot with.
    I own the 1DIIN, probably similar to the 1DsII in this regard, and I agree with that. The 5DII feels like a slug by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle View Post
    I own the 1DIIN, probably similar to the 1DsII in this regard, and I agree with that. The 5DII feels like a slug by comparison.
    The 1DIIn is probably a little more fun with 8 frames and the larger LCD. I've considered picking up a IIn on occasion just.

One other thing I forgot to mention on the AF differences of the 1DsII and 5DII; the 5dII may be more sensitive at the center point but the outer points of the 1DsII seem to be more sensitive and definitely more accurate that the 5DII.