Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photoshop Challenge

That's a great image to start with. Nice capture. I love how they look like twins facing opposite directions.

The secret to removing things is to work in layers a little at a time. Duplicate your layer, move the bottom layer slightly one way or the other, then use a layer mask on the top layer to remove the thing you don't want. Sometimes you can only remove a small piece of it. Then merge the visible layers and do it again. And again and again. As many times as required to get the offending part removed. It takes practice, but once you get the hang of it you can zip right along.

Mark

Ok, here is a similar one that I did. I was very tempted to toss it in the recycle bin many times but was determined to see it through. Maybe with more practice it will be easier to do the one I originally posted. Maybe I will attempt that one in a few days! For now, I have had my fill of deer for now!!

I just used the clone stamp. Maybe there is an easier way but this is what I ended up with ...

Uncloned version ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2120_unedited.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	383

Cloned version ...

IMG_2120_edit by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

So, what do you think of the new nose on the deer on the left and the new ear and eye on the deer on the right ...lol!

Denise
    Last edited by ddt0725; 01-15-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Edited photo replaced with new version following M_Six's layer method

Yeah, that one is tough because of the nose on the deer on the left being almost totally hidden by the grass. Still, you did a fine job with it and it's another great capture. Like the deer were showing off for you.

Try working with layers, though. For the eye, you can use the lasso tool to draw a rough circle around the right eye (and include a good bit of fur), then hit Ctrl-J (or the Mac equivalent). That will create a new layer with just the eye. Then with that layer highlighted, choose Edit => Transform => Flip Horizontal. Then use the Move tool to move it over the eye with the grass in front. Then swap layer positions so the eye layer is below the full layer. Then use a layer mask on the full layer and slowly remove the grass. The eye in the layer underneath will begin to show through. Just take your time and don't try to do too much at once. I did the same thing with the ear. Just create a new layer with just the ear, then do the same as I said above with the eye. Just use the layer mask to paint out as much (or as little) as you need.

Here I did the bit with the eye on your earlier clone work. By using the right eye as a source, the left eye looks more natural.

Thank you so much, M_Six!!! You are right, that looks alot better! In fact, right after I posted my version my daughter and I were looking at it and talking about how I should have done something different with the eye to make it look more natural!

Thanks tremendously for the instructions! I am going to try this on a number of shots tomorrow!

Denise

One thing to make sure is that the eyes are equidistant (and equal height) from the midline of the face.

I changed the large photo above after redoing the left eye following M_Six's layer instructions. I think it looks much more natural!! Only thing is, I had to edit the .jpeg and resave over it since I didn't save the first edit any other way!

Im unsure which PS suite your on, but in CS5 there is anew feature called content aware fill. Im no good at PS btw, but give the healing brush tool, spot healing, even lasso tool to make the selection and delete. Worth a try, when i get chance i will give it a go
    I aint a pro

I have CS5 and did include your tip kingscurate and the rest of the tips provided to me in this thread to try and edit the first photo posted above. Here is what I came up with ...

Deer by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Thank you so much everyone for your help!! If you see anything that I should have done differently, please let me know! I am so thrilled to finally be learning a few more things in Photoshop!

Denise

Very nice. Well done.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Looks amazing, you would never know you fixed it.