Thread: Lenses on a Crop Body

Talking Lenses on a Crop Body

Hi there,

Am thinking of buying a general walkabout lens for my EOS 600d - Two main choices really, for me: the Canon EF-S 15-85mm or the L 24-105mm.
    Optically which of these lenses is superior? Which delivers 'better images? and Which one is least likely to be replaced in the future? ( Is the 'L' lens worth the money for extra quality)? - Am not sure what the relative wide-angle difference between the two lenses would be in real terms.

Many thanks for your help!!

The 15-85mm would be a better choice, or if you want/need a faster aperture, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Both deliver L-series optical quality, both perform slightly better than the 24-105mm on a crop body.

In fact, 24mm on APS-C is not even wide angle - it's 38mm FF-equivalent, meaning in the normal range. The 24-105 has better build, including weather sealing (but you'd need a sealed body, e.g. 7D, to benefit from that).

For a crop body, I think the 17-55mm is the best general purpose lens - indoors and out, landscapes and even portraits (f/2.8). The 15-85mm is a great outdoor walkaround lens, but will likely need a flash indoors.

I have a 600d/T3i and completely agree w/ Neuronatomist. I bought the 15-85 first and find it just the little bit too slow for indoor work. Fantastic outdoor, but really miss the 2.8 light gathering ability.

I went through the 18-55 & 55-250 combo, found that I wanted to change lenses too often, that is why I went to the 15-85 to get that extra length. Now I am wishing I had gone to the 17-55 for the 2.8. At f4 both are really sharp (look at the ISO crops in the reveiw section) in the wide side. The variable f stop closes down pretty darn fast, so you lose the extra stop or two pretty quickly.

I have been fiddling w/ the video side of the 600 and hee hee hee it is alot of fun. I wish I had the 2.8 for the indoor video where flash is n/a and light is just silly looking. I am looking at the 16-35 L for "indoor" work, and keep the 15-85 for outdoor.

Happy clicks

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

The 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is my go-to lens probably 85% of the time. It truly is the best general purpose lens out there for a crop body.

I went with the 24-105mm f/4L, for the extra reach, and I regret it. It's as people say, the 24mm isn't wide enough for indoor use. f/4 isn't fast enough for indoor use (and anything over f/2.8 lowers autofocus precision).

If you're considering the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, but are on a tight budget, then also consider the Tamron's 17-50mm f/2.8 (non VC version). It gets plenty rave reviews too. Not quite as good as the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, but it's half the price. In fact, with the savings, you can easily get a nice fast prime like the 85mm f/1.8 to help cover the lost focal length, or a flash to help with indoors.

If you do find yourself bumping up against the 55mm boundary all the time with your kit lens, then the 15-85mm may be the better option for you. If you go this route, and you don't know why people suggest fast primes, then add a 50mm f/1.8 onto your order. It's like $100, and it will open up new areas in low-light and thin depth of field photography for you. If you don't need convincing about that a fast prime is a good investment, or you're willing to believe strangers on the internet, then you might want to skip that lens, and invest in a higher quality prime, like the 50mm f/1.4 or the 85mm f/1.8 at some point. The 50mm 1/f.8 is a nice lens, and we still use ours, but it's build quality isn't the best.

I've got the 15-85mm and I wish I had an extra stop or two indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    The 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is my go-to lens probably 85% of the time. It truly is the best general purpose lens out there for a crop body.
    +1

I own the 17-55. Naturally I'm extremely pleased with it and recommended it to anyone who is in the market.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers