View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • nvitalephotography

3 11.54%
  • ddt0725

8 30.77%
  • DavidEccleston

2 7.69%
  • Rocco

6 23.08%
  • MrGreenBug

7 26.92%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #30 - High Key - Congrats Denise (DDT0725)

My comments were only meant to be educational and not inflammatory so I hope I didn't offend anyone. I certainly didn't chime in for the purpose of being the assignment police. I think personal interpretation is a good thing. I just felt like the concept of high key was misunderstood.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Mark,
    I think your comments were good. I think this is a new concept for a lot of people here, so in my opinion, any educational comments are appreciated. I know I wasn't really sure what the concept was until I finally researched it a bit.

Nick

Thought it would be appropriate if I gave it a try :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rosa_002.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	413

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I would guess that Andy's background is overexposed.
    I increased the exposure of this shot by 1.3 stops in Lightroom because the raw file was underexposed. The in-camera metering made the scene 18% gray overall and I didn't compensate for this in-camera. I know better now.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    There is very little detail in the background, good detail to the bird.
    There was no detail in the background, just snow-covered ice in very flat light.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 01-22-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5322.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	414
    here is my entry, it kind of happened by accident, but i think it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    Hey guys. I hope I didn't offend anyone.
    I never take offense to being educated! Wonderful photos everyone! I have a few photos in my stash that require no post-processing whatsoever that qualify but I think I've used up my submission allotment! LOL!

Hi, I was thinking about catching some birds in flight for this assignment, but the weather this weekend was lousy and I mostly stayed inside. Then I got another idea that you could possibly call the lazy guy's version of BIF shooting.

Twoship

Info: 7D, EF100 Macro, f/11, 1/100 sec, ISO 100
    Lighting from low left and behind
    Stem cloned out from lower left corner

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Ok, sorry for being so indecisive on this one but I took this photo of my cocker spaniel yesterday when he was all tuckered out after his grooming and fell in love with it. So, I just had to submit it as my final entry and the one to be judged on for this assignment!

IMG_3577 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr
    You do like to make it hard for everybody else... you have my vote and I'm not going to post.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

LOL! Well, thank you very much Raid but I have to make it to the finals first & there are plenty of wonderful entries yet to come! In fact, I look forward to seeing one from you ...I am sure you have a few from your latest trip that would be perfect for this assignment!!

Denise

Great Shot CLS....

Count me among those that have only had a very preliminary idea of what High Key was before this assignment. So, thanks Pat for the challenge and Mark for nicely trying to keep us on track.

After reading some, my understanding of high key is a well lit subject with few significant shadows (a quote from the link below that high key "uses unnaturally bright lighting to blow out harsh shadows"). It appears to have originated due to technical limitations in contrast in televisions 40-50 yrs ago. But it is widely used today, especially for product photography (Apple uses it a lot for its products) and to create a sense of "happiness." It is typically acheived in studio with multiple lightning sources to result in a very even lighting. I saw several references to a well exposed polar bear in a snow storm being a good example of high key photography.

The description I found most helpful was here: http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...ting-high-key/

So, I am going to post these and still attempt a original for this assignment (still looking for a polar bear and a snow storm), but I wanted to see if others thought I was on the right track for "high key." Both of these are from the archives, but I went back looking for very "even" lighting with few harsh shadows.....

BTW, my wife walked in while I was editing this and after scrolling through the assignment to see the other photos quiped "you had better keep looking, you are not going to be Denise with this." Tough love, I can take it ....Great shot Denise...

Thanks for any input and, of course, for viewing....Brant