View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • nvitalephotography

3 11.54%
  • ddt0725

8 30.77%
  • DavidEccleston

2 7.69%
  • Rocco

6 23.08%
  • MrGreenBug

7 26.92%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #30 - High Key - Congrats Denise (DDT0725)

#30 - High Key - Congrats Denise (DDT0725)

This week’s assignment is “High Key”. Basically, if you thought you pushed your photos highlights too far and they are blown out, well… push it some more and see where it goes. Low contrast images with little or no shadows are what high key is all about. It is easier to explain with examples… so I pulled out some shots from my archives and also took a shot of my daughter’s eye. Then with a pretty heavy hand on the post processing on some of them, I came up with a few to use as examples below.

High Key seems to be a fad right now, but it does lend itself to a wide variety of different types of photos. So I thought this would be a good topic to get everyone involved. If you shot portraiture this is right up your alley; birders have a great GBH example recently in the “Post Your Best Bird Shots” by JJPhoto; macro plays well with High Key also… see my daughters eye below; with winter in the northern hemisphere, there are lots of High Key landscape opportunities with all the snow around; this is a good opportunity for the strobist to pull out all of their gear and really light up their subjects and background; and if you do not have time for shooting and you are a good computer jockey, then pull some shots out of your archives and see what you can do with a little PP. So, get creative and get over exposed.

• You can submit as many photos as you like, but only one will be judged. Please make sure which one you'd like to be judged
    • The final day to enter your photo(s) is January 31st
    • Have fun!

The following photos have been selected as finalists:

Name: nvitalephotography
    Motivation: I like the way the light areas around the outer edge and the blur frame the face. Besides, my wife and daughter said I had to have this one in the picks.

Name: ddt0725
    Motivation: This is just a beautiful shot… I love the way the ears are laid out, and I can see this hanging on a white wall. Besides, this shot holds to the classical definition of High Key in that the tones fall mostly between white and gray with little blacks or dark gray (typically little shadows).

Name: DavidEccleston
    Motivation: This was a good winter snow shot where the snow can be used for the High Key effect and the subject is highlighted and well exposed. Besides, that dog has some crazy eyes.

Name: Rocco
    Motivation: Beautiful baby shot. Great eyes, cute subject and pose. Well processed. The babies face and expression are highlighted by removing the other distractions.

Name: MrGreenBug
    Motivation: Background distractions were removed and the whites of scooter blend well into the background to further highlight the subject (the girl not the scooter). A very well composed shot.

Congratulations and good luck everyone!

Example photo's:
    Daughter's Eye by westmichigan, on Flickr
    Snow Owl by westmichigan, on Flickr
    White Rose by westmichigan, on Flickr
    Desolate Winter by westmichigan, on Flickr
    Holding on Through Winters Winds by westmichigan, on Flickr
    The Black & White of Winter by westmichigan, on Flickr
    Last edited by Sheiky; 02-02-2012 at 12:09 PM.

I see your seeing eye with two of my own.

Last edited by rlriii13; 01-17-2012 at 04:10 PM.

I see your rose with one of my own! LOL!

IMG_7600 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

And a few others ...

My son and grandson

Buddies by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

I think this one will be my submission for the assignment ...

IMG_1613 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Woo, finally an excuse to use some of those blown-out overexposed shots of mine. (because 'real' photographers blow out their highlights in-camera, not in PP) i'll get to processing some on the weekend, don't have my big pc up at my new place yet, but i've got a few i mind already...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Here is my entry:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	highkey_bright.jpg 
Views:	1193 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	400
    7D + 70-200L f/2.8 IS II + EF 2x TC @ 400mm, f/5.6, 1/500sec, ISO2000

Cloudy snowy day, background fully overexposed in camera, some minor branches removed in Photoshop + brightness and levels adjusted a little bit, no crop.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    ok here is my first attempt at this type of thing, hopefully I have the right idea.

Here is my entry
    Last edited by Jayson; 01-23-2012 at 05:53 PM.

ok here is my first attempt at this type of thing, hopefully I have the right idea.
    Nick, I think you nailed it---Really a great shot and great processing. I normally don't care for this type of framing but I really like it in this shot--Nice work.
    Bob

Ok, sorry for being so indecisive on this one but I took this photo of my cocker spaniel yesterday when he was all tuckered out after his grooming and fell in love with it. So, I just had to submit it as my final entry and the one to be judged on for this assignment!

IMG_3577 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Ok, sorry for being so indecisive on this one but I took this photo of my cocker spaniel yesterday when he was all tuckered out after his grooming and fell in love with it. So, I just had to submit it as my final entry and the one to be judged on for this assignment!

IMG_3577 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr
    You have my vote so far. Nice image.
    Mark