Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Posting - Saint Patricks Cathedral - NYC

First Posting - Saint Patricks Cathedral - NYC

***** Edit - I removed the earlier larger photo since it would not fit in the width of the posting. *****

I thought I would kick off my new forum membership with this image posting from my Christmas trip to NYC. Thanks for getting this function going. This site is my regular place to get info about Canon products.

- Vince

Re: First Posting - Saint Patricks Cathedral - NYC

It looks like the forum could use a bit wider space. The image was about 1024 wide. Perhaps its a max of 800 or so.

- Vince

800 wide was still too wide.

Here is 640 wide.

Better....

- Vince

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.61/NYCStPatricksCathedralEvenSmaller.jpg[/img]

Nice shot - fisheye lens I assume?

I was thinking that the framing was a bit unique in the first shot - much better in the last. The width of the forum is a parameter I can set. I am cautious of going to wide as it becomes harder to read, but am very willing to increase it if that is the concensus.

Yes Bryan. This is with the 5D II and the 15mm fisheye. I lucked out on the shot as the cathedral was crowded with people during the Christmas period. It was a 1/30s image handheld since I didn't have the room for a tripod. The 15mm has been surprisingly sharp and a good addition to my kit.

I understand your concerns over the width. 1024 would probably be too wide for some, but allowing for an 800 pixel wide image should probably be ok if I have a vote.

If it's configurable you probably either need to make it very clear that there is a maximum size for forum posting at the upload point or offer a resize. I saw something there about specifying the width in the upload pop-up window, but it wasn't clear to me that this was a resize feature.

- Vince

I like the width. I think it is wide enough to appreciate the photos posted and it is true that the wider the space the harder to read and easier it is to skip/repeat lines when reading. It would be nice to be able to click the photos to see them larger, but with the 5Mb limit on space, you could eat that up if you aren't careful.

Sounds good to me. Maybe just make it a bit clearer then that a posting that is greater than about 640-700 pixels wide will be cropped during when the forum thread is viewed.

- Vince

Wonderful shot Vince and an appropriate place to welcome everyone aboard,thanks for your effort and good luck with the 5DII!

Steve B.

I really like this shot,Vince. Beautifully done. I had the same issue with an upload earlier with regards to width size, but I discovered that in your posting if you click on MORE you can drag the photo down to a viewable size without loss of resolution. You may want to just try that instead of doing a full resize in Photoshop.

Send more photos with your fisheye lens. I am impressed with the appearace.

John

Nice photo, and good choice of lens.