Thread: What lens to buy, advise neede

What lens to buy, advise neede

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma.

For my portrait and event photography ( events mostly indoors ) I am looking for a lens to replace my 18-55 mm IS ( the standard one )

I am thiniking to buy on of the below mentioned lenses.

Which one would you advise and why.

( the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 is sadly out of my price range )

Here are the lenses :

Sigma : 24-70 mm f/2.8
    Tamron 28-75 mm f/2.8
    Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8

I am looking at the second hand market and the prices are almost the same for these lenses.

Thnx for you advise and tips

Ger

Given that you're using the 18-55mm which is an EF-S lens, I'd recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non-VC) from the above list. 24mm on an APS-C camera like yours isn't wide angle, and that can often be a problem indoors where space can be tight. 50mm f/2.8 on APS-C will work for portraits (although longer would sometimes be better). The optical quality of the 17-50mm is also very good.

I'd suggest looking over your past shots from the 18-55mm - how many of them are in the 18-24mm range or 18-28mm range? Consider that with a lens starting at 24mm or 28mm, you might not have been able to back up enough to frame those shots.

Another lens that works well for both low light and portraits is a fast prime, such as the 50/1.4 or 85/1.8. Something to consider down the road. Personally, I started with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and the 85mm f/1.8, and that was a great and versatile combination.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 01-18-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Thank for your input.

The 50 mm 1.8 was in my camera bag.... yes that's right..was. Sadly the invention of sir Isaac Newton took control of this lens, and forced it to the ground :-)

I was very fond of this 50 mm 1.8 but I often had some trouble with framing the shot since I was not able to back up enough.

The tip of looking in what range I mostly have photographed with the 17-55 is very good. I will do that tonight when I am home.

Thnx again for your tips and advise.

Ger