Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon EF-S 10-22mm vs. Tokina 11-16mm -> FIGHT!

finalising for 3 options. tamron/sigma 17-70 F2.8 or sigma 17-70 F2.8- 4.
    any suggestion among these 3? in the digital picture review i cud find that tamron 17-50 is better than sigma 17-70. would like to know more from all you senior members. will have this lens just as a replacement for kit lens and for day to day photography. if needed, will get a wide angle later on. and if zoom lens is required, will mostly opt for canon 70-200 F4L, but not at the moment.
    please suggest if any 1 of these 3 is a good replacement for kit lens, considering as a walkaround lens and for its price.any flaws in the particular lens and if canon has similar lens (but not too costly.)

If you're in the US, go to CanonPriceWatch to find the best price. If in Canada, photoprice.ca. I've ordered nearly everything I own from Adorama, even though I'm in Canada, and had no problems. I've also purchased lens mugs from B&H without issue.

finalising for 3 options. tamron/sigma 17-50 F2.8 or sigma 17-70 F2.8- 4.
    any suggestion among these 3? in the digital picture review i cud find that tamron 17-50 is better than sigma 17-70. would like to know more from all you senior members. will have this lens just as a replacement for kit lens and for day to day photography. if needed, will get a wide angle later on. and if zoom lens is required, will mostly opt for canon 70-200 F4L, but not at the moment.
    please suggest if any 1 of these 3 is a good replacement for kit lens, considering as a walkaround lens and for its price.any flaws in the particular lens and if canon has similar lens (but not too costly.)

please find highlighted correction

Quote Originally Posted by DJ 86 View Post
    @jayson, you said 24-70 would be large on 600D, what does that mean?? what does canon UWA mean?? ultrawide?? why tamron 17-50 without VC?? and 70-200 u mentioned is canon L series ?? waiting for ur pics. btw, please mention prices of the lens too, so that i can get a fair idea.
    The reason I said the Canon 24-70 would be large on your 600D is it's size. I have two rebels and it is definitely not balanced very well on those bodies. It is a huge lens and you will be a little lens heavy. I suggested the Tamron without VC because it is crazy sharp. The VC version I have heard is not as sharp and I don't really think you need IS in a lens of that nature. It is light and focuses fast enough to catch my kids in action (5 yrs old). I used it for about 90% of my wedding photos and stuff before about November of 2011 due to focusing issues on my Canon 24-70mm. The Tamron took a trip to the service center right after I got it and was perfect when it came back. I have had horrible luck with Sigma lenses and focus shifting, but other have had good luck. So take your choice.

Yes UWA is ultrawide. I have a friend with the Canon 10-22mm and it is a great lens. I got my Tokina 12-24mm on a deal because I have always wanted to try one and it is a great little lens. Had a constant f/4 so I am happy. So, I am not going after the Canon UWA anymore. It is also about $150 to $200 more. Here are a couple shots with my Tokina recently. I am not a landscape photographer by any means, but it is fun.

As for the Canon 70-200 f4 L, that's what I was talking about. This one http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx is about $640. The Tamron http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx has a rebate also and is about $414, then you have a Tokina 12-24 at about $525 or the Tokina 11-16 at $659 or the Canon 10-22 at $756. All prices can either be found on B&H or Adorama.

If you were to get the Canon 10-22 at $756 and Canon 24-70 at $1269. If it were me and I was just starting out, I would get something in the paragraph above and then if I decided later on, upgrading is always an option. I would have been very happy with the first kit when I first started out and would probably still be using most of them. I only have the Canon 24-70 from a gift over the holidays of last year otherwise I would still be using my Tamron all the time. The 24-70 sometimes just is not wide enough to shoot stuff indoors in tight quarters because with the 1.6x crop factor is it a field of view from a 35mm area. I mainly use it outside. Hope that helps.

Here are a couple examples of why I say it would be large on you 600D. Both are on an XTi or 400D I think it was. Canon on left, Tamron on right. Photo taken with the other lens. Canon is also much heavier.
    Last edited by Jayson; 02-08-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    The reason I said the Canon 24-70 would be large on your 600D is it's size. I have two rebels and it is definitely not balanced very well on those bodies. It is a huge lens and you will be a little lens heavy. I suggested the Tamron without VC because it is crazy sharp. The VC version I have heard is not as sharp and I don't really think you need IS in a lens of that nature. It is light and focuses fast enough to catch my kids in action (5 yrs old). I used it for about 90% of my wedding photos and stuff before about November of 2011 due to focusing issues on my Canon 24-70mm. The Tamron took a trip to the service center right after I got it and was perfect when it came back. I have had horrible luck with Sigma lenses and focus shifting, but other have had good luck. So take your choice.

Yes UWA is ultrawide. I have a friend with the Canon 10-22mm and it is a great lens. I got my Tokina 12-24mm on a deal because I have always wanted to try one and it is a great little lens. Had a constant f/4 so I am happy. So, I am not going after the Canon UWA anymore. It is also about $150 to $200 more. Here are a couple shots with my Tokina recently. I am not a landscape photographer by any means, but it is fun.

As for the Canon 70-200 f4 L, that's what I was talking about. This one http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx is about $640. The Tamron http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx has a rebate also and is about $414, then you have a Tokina 12-24 at about $525 or the Tokina 11-16 at $659 or the Canon 10-22 at $756. All prices can either be found on B&H or Adorama.

If you were to get the Canon 10-22 at $756 and Canon 24-70 at $1269. If it were me and I was just starting out, I would get something in the paragraph above and then if I decided later on, upgrading is always an option. I would have been very happy with the first kit when I first started out and would probably still be using most of them. I only have the Canon 24-70 from a gift over the holidays of last year otherwise I would still be using my Tamron all the time. The 24-70 sometimes just is not wide enough to shoot stuff indoors in tight quarters because with the 1.6x crop factor is it a field of view from a 35mm area. I mainly use it outside. Hope that helps.

Here are a couple examples of why I say it would be large on you 600D. Both are on an XTi or 400D I think it was. Canon on left, Tamron on right. Photo taken with the other lens. Canon is also much heavier.
    very nice info. and nice pics as well.
    i think, as sugested by you, i will try for tamron 17-50 F2.8 non vc. i think this is the lens you suggested.http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx and not this one
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx.

@jayson , and wat abt the sigma 17-70? how would you rate it? cos i also have a though, of 20mm more focal length than 50mm. please sugggest

I have never tried that lens or used it. I have used the 50mm prime and the 30mm prime, but had loads of focus issues so I haven't even tried it. You could give the Sigma a try and if it doesn't work, send it back. Most of the big sellers, Amazon, Adorama, B&H all let you return something like 30 days after purchase. Most pay for the return shipping too, but I'd look into that before purchasing. I know the extra 20mm is a bonus and I use it a bunch on my Canon, so go with what you think you'll need. Yes the first Tamron is the one I suggested.

@jayson, i would like to see the photo gallery of you and other senior members. you have your photo stream on flickr?

My gallery and blog are in my signature.

as discueed about tamron 17-50 non VC, i have a small doubt. will it helo, if i am clicking the images from car, or any other vehicle? or when my hand is not stable, and subjected to vibrations.? or shld i go for VC/OS version.?