Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some ideas

Yes, I now agree on the over the top consensus. I'll let this one go. Good points Neuro.

Also on a side note just to address the statement what does photography have to do with precision. I think professional photography at a high level has a lot of precision elements. Timing is everything and that does not just go alone with the camera internal parts or sync speed but how lighting is set up or the time of day the picture is taken or even scheduling the different parts of a large scale assignment or job so that nothing is missed. The term "like clockwork" comes to mind as on many of my tougher, larger scale assignment with all the things that have to happen to put a staged picture together it becomes machinelike. Even the computer work following the actual photography work has to have a high level of precision. I don't mean for this to sound snippy or anything like it as i'm just making small talk. Just addressing why I felt the word was appropriate. Anyways, bad idea with the smoking gun and I see that know. Wasn't think clearly.

definition: The degree of refinement with which an operation is performed. Example: I admire the precision of her work.

freelance: Agreed. However I was making the comment as it would relate to a sales pitch to a potential client not as we photographers would see it. As a customer we want our accountants to be precise, our doctors to be precise and our photographers to be creative and skilled....which you have shown many times over you are. Precise just didn't seem to work as a sales pitch for the general public IMO for what it is worth.

People who see your end product probably never think precision.

Of course I would rather have a precise photographer before I had a creative accountant or doctor.

I wouldn't abandon the concept completely yet, there might be a way yet you haven't thought of to use "freelanceshots" that might still work. Your calling card was intense but the concept could work if presented more subtly.

OK, I was sitting around this morning and thinking of the effort I put into the original image where I felt like it was a failure as far as what I wanted to do with it. I took the advice given here and took it as a challenge for myself to see what I could do. Here is what I came up with.

point blank camera with smoke by freelanceshots, on Flickr
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 01-25-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Picture wasn't displaying correctly. Fixed link.

I like this one. The gun would be a little to much for some, but this shows creativity in a fairly non threatening way. I think this is cool

Now for my stupid comment: Can you get ride of the hairy knuckles on the left side of the trigger guard? Just the hair not the knuckles
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Now for my stupid comment: Can you get ride of the hairy knuckles on the left side of the trigger guard? Just the hair not the knuckles
    This cracked me up....

Freelance, if you loose the lazer sight where you see the trigger guard and pistol grip it might be more effective. The lazer sight is not as easily identifiable as a gun part.

I gave the other conversation about precision a bit of thought to, I think it would work as part of a phrase rather than a single word. One that I thought of "when you have only one shot, one chance, it's captured with accuracy and precision"

Out of all the terms that could be used I can see where precision was not be the best choice for photography but I was really trying to link the photo portion to the gun segment. The gun and the unique view is what I found intriguing so now that the gun idea came off wrong the idea fell on it's face for me. The camera import was fun to try but I would really need a more typical gun trigger area without the attached laser unit. Thanks for the feed back folks.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Of course I would rather have a precise photographer before I had a creative accountant or doctor.
    Are you kidding me? Creative accountants make the world go 'round. Of course, they're about as common as engineers with good social skills (I'm an engineer - not saying if I've got social skills or not).

Drop Dead Gorgious Photos

Just shoot me.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers