Thread: Sigma 50-500mm OS vs. Canon 100-400mm IS

Cool Sigma 50-500mm OS vs. Canon 100-400mm IS

Hi there,

Quite simply I would like to know which of these lenses comprehensibly produces 'nicer' looking pictures - e.g. sharpness, contrast, bokeh, IS etc. - I have heard mixed comparisons of both and am therefore pretty confused. Which is the better lens?

Hey there. I started to look at it.. and it got pretty clear right off. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=113&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API= 2&LensComp=374&CameraComp=9&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=1 &APIComp=2

T
    hose are Bryan's ISO crops for sharpness. Great tool. Doesn't look like he's done a review on the lens, but he has at least done that much.

Personally, I'm not familiar with the Sigma. Is it in the same price range as the 100-400? You'll find a bunch of advocates of that lens on this site.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Yep, they pretty much cost the same in the UK - £1000 +-£200 each way.

Love my 100-400mm!

Rocco, the comparison you linked isn't relevant for two reasons - one, it's the non-OS version of the Sigma, the OP is asking about the OS version. Second, you've got two different cameras selected in the drop down - if you pick the 1Ds II for both (that's the only one on which Bryan tested the non-OS Bigma), the IQ difference isn't that much.

Haha! That's what happens when I browse the internet at 3am. My bad.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by JTPAIN View Post
    Hi there,

Quite simply I would like to know which of these lenses comprehensibly produces 'nicer' looking pictures - e.g. sharpness, contrast, bokeh, IS etc. - I have heard mixed comparisons of both and am therefore pretty confused. Which is the better lens?
    Hi...

You can check out the reviews here and here.

The Sigma or *Bigma* is considered a contender but I doubt that it can beat the Canon 100-400L however; for the price and the 10x zoom factor it does well if without it shortcomings like it's vignetting and AF issues at the long end.

Please note that I recall a Sigma Service Bulletin whereby Sigma had issues with the AF system on some of there telephoto lenses. I'm not sure if that was addressed - one would assume it was.

On Flikr, there is a user that goes by the name *Airforcehound* or something and his go to lens was this lens until a recent mishap. You want to search there, the photos look great!

I personally don't have one, but I was curious about some of Sigma's telephotos including the 150-500.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams