Thread: Sport Photography and Art

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sport Photography and Art

There was a time when sports photography was all about that split second capture. Camera technology has made it possible for even people like me to capture these images. So if I try to get into these events with a long lens (250mm or more) on the camera, I would be refused entry (and they do check every bag and read the lens size).

Sports photography has now moved in art, where to PP has become the wow in the image. There are many who would dispute this and who would also say that the shot is everything.

Take a look at these brilliant images and tell me what you think. There is even an image here that would win the “High Key” competition.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...n-open/100232/

Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

"Sports photography has now moved in art, where to PP has become the wow in the image. There are many who would dispute this and who would also say that the shot is everything. Take a look at these brilliant images and tell me what you think."

Some amazing photos there, there is no doubt about that and they certainly have the wow factor. Most of those are great shots for advertising of the event, the sport, magazine features, posters, wall mounts, and I suppose some newspaper articles on it.

But as for that type of images replacing "the shot" in sports in general, I don't think so. That's not to say they can't compliment each other. "The shot" will always have its place in the public eye. Just think of the game winning goal or the amazing save in hockey or soccer, the winning touchdown catch or missed field goal in North American football, or the over the fence game saving catch in baseball, just to name a few examples. Those are all moments, of course depending upon the importance of the game they happen in (exhibition, regular season, or championship), that can all be iconic moments in history. If "the shot" can capture that exact moment, all the post processing in the world doesn't matter. Because, the captured moment speaks all for itself, it automatically conveys all the power and emotion of the moment, be it stress, joy, or heartbreak (depending on who you are cheering for). It might not look as nice as the PP shots, but to fans it will always have more meaning to them.

Interesting thread. I thought the PP might have been getting bigger while I was asleep, but it mainly seems to be a tennis thing only up to this point. If I look at this weeks best sport photos: http://totallycoolpix.com/2012/01/co...-2012-week-04/ I still see that the standard shot on a specific point during or after the game still makes the headlines.
    I guess the best sports photos are the ones that have a story on them. But still I must say that I like the tennis heavy PP photos a lot. Albeit more as productphotos than sportsphotos.