Thread: Printing FoCal Target - Size Conflict

Printing FoCal Target - Size Conflict

O.K... What am I missing? I am preparing to calibrate my Canon 5D MKII, 7D, and Canon lenses using FoCal Pro. Have read the manual and was preparing to print off the targets that are included in the software I received. Specifically they are files FoCalTarget Rev. 4A, and FoCal Target2 Rev.4A. The manual is pretty specific about the targets being sized for 8-1/2x11 paper, that the size of the target is very important, and that they are to be printed at 300 dpi.

I opened both target files target in Photoshop CS5, and a couple of other programs and in each case and with both files the size is indicated at 8.267" x 11.694" at 300dpi. Obviously, the sizes are disproportionate to 8-1/2x11. I am sure that it was not FoCal's intention that we would have to re-size or crop... I would have thought that the image size would have been spot on at letter size.

I could print to "Fit" or to "Center the Image" or "Ignore Size of Printing Area" but obviously do not want to chance changing the size of the target if it is that important for Fully Automatic Calibration.

I must be missing something (again)... Any suggestions from people that have used FoCal? Thanks for the help.

I'd just print on 8.5x11" and not scale it. There's sufficient white space.

FWIW, the dimensions are A4 paper - software is from the UK, A4 is their equivalent of letter size.

Thank you again... You are a font of knowledge (and my ignorance shows). While we're on the subject... Waiting for clear skies, light winds, and bright light in the Pacific NW at this time of year is futile... figure about May. I have the room in the house to do up to my 70-200 f/2.8 but I am wondering about lighting. I have a couple of conventional aluminum reflectors and was wondering if conventional floods would work or if one of the GE "Sun Spectrum" lights would be better. My wife will be pleased to know that I am going to take over the family room ( I have a clear shot down the hall) to mount the target and lights... again,while we have a lot of windows in the room... too grey now to allow enough light for the EF that is required. We don't tan here... the color you see is moss.

The regular floods will be fine. Have fun!

I emailed Reikan myself regarding light as i have none myself, below is his reply:

"Regarding the lights - the most important thing is stability of lighting. You shouldn't use main powered LED lights or fluorescent as they can flicker and cause issues, but if you have a couple of spotlights that should be fine (you don't need studio lights for example).

Natural light generally tends to work best, but you need to ensure it's a fairly static level (e.g. not period of bright sunlight then clouds). Also, if you're testing outdoors, you want to make sure the target is very firmly attached and doesn't blow around in the wind.

A lot of the development testing has been done with a couple of halogen spotlights on the target, so this is definitely a viable option."
    Hope that is of some use to everyone
    I aint a pro