Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Portraits

Baby Portraits

I don't really do these. Going into it I knew I didn't want it to be prop heavy, to me those kinds of baby pics completely distract from the subject. I did this using a large window and my 430ex II with the Gary Fong LightSphere, triggered with the 7D's on camera flash. These were taken with both the 17-55mm and the 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro.

Any feedback is appreciated, I was completely out of my comfort zone with these.

IMG_5256-Edit by RVier199, on Flickr

IMG_5285-Edit by RVier199, on Flickr

IMG_5336-Edit by RVier199, on Flickr

IMG_5287-Edit by RVier199, on Flickr

IMG_5237-Edit by RVier199, on Flickr

IMG_5249-Edit by RVier199, on Flickr
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I prefer not to do baby portraits because

1) they do not undrestand direction
    2) they are moody
    3) parents are usually scared of "bright lights" ruining their baby's vision

You did a fine job. When it comes to the baby portrait genre, I find that many pleasing baby portraits are more a product of photoshop treatment than of a specific lighting style.

I'd suggest trying a black & white, high key, or sepia/antique conversion to images 5256 & 5237 especially. As you're starting with a technically superior image, I think the result could be even better than what I'm accustomed to seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I'd suggest trying a black & white, high key, or sepia/antique conversion to images 5256 & 5237 especially. As you're starting with a technically superior image, I think the result could be even better than what I'm accustomed to seeing.
    Thanks! Coming from you that holds a lot of weight. I think I will try that. BTW, this was my first time using manual control on my flash during a paying photo shoot rather than ettl.. Your photostream was a big reason for that.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Well, decided to do a quick conversion to see what kind of a looks I could get.

IMG_5287-Edit-Edit by RVier199, on Flickr

IMG_5287-Edit-2 by RVier199, on Flickr

I like where it's going and I will definitely be experimenting more when I have time to edit photos. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Last edited by Rocco; 01-30-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Yeah, that statement is certainly not something you'll hear me say often. However,with baby portraits, it seems to be true. There are so many people doing baby portraits these days (it's a relatively easy market to break into)--and its [apparently] easier to learn Photoshop than it is to learn solid photography skills. Because of that, some post processing techniques have become ubiquitous and nearly always expected by the customer (from my experience, at least).

By the way, I really like the conversions... ;-)

Sean, when did you become a man scorned for baby pictures :-) I totally agree that there are post processing techniques have become ubiquitous, as well as some photographers that lean on them instead of finding their own style. Where are you seeing this the most? Is it Flickr? Local photographer's websites? Print?

Which "actions" are you seeing the most? Can you link to some examples?

Nice collection Rocco....especially like 2, 3, and 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    Sean, when did you become a man scorned for baby pictures :-) I totally agree that there are post processing techniques have become ubiquitous, as well as some photographers that lean on them instead of finding their own style. Where are you seeing this the most? Is it Flickr? Local photographer's websites? Print?

Which "actions" are you seeing the most? Can you link to some examples?
    Baby pictures, typically speaking, aren't my thing. I don't like shooting a subject that cannot (or will not) follow verbal instructions. It's the same reason I'm hesitant to shoot toddlers.

Honestly, I'm just pulling from memory when it comes to the post processing techniques I referred to as being typical of this genre. However, I neglected to mention a big one, selective color...

I refuse to use selective color! Heh. Can't make me, wont do it, not gunna. Lol. That's worse than all of the props, in my eyes.

I have an acquaintance who's interested in photography and purchased her first DSLR. She recently did a maternity shoot for a friend of hers. When she saw me the other day, she asked if I know how to "...make everything go black and white, except for one part of the image??" I tried to explain to her how the technique was done. However, after not making any real progress, I told her to email me a few shots and I'd apply the process to the best one (which is exactly what I did). Her technique for capturing the maternity images:

a) Put bow around stomach.
    b) Place subject 2 feet from blank wall.
    c) Put camera in "P" mode.
    d) Use pop-up flash.

I think the time I spent in Photoshop eclipsed her session time.