Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you kidding me.......Another flash head

Are you kidding me.......Another flash head

OK, I have to admit, I just purchased another 430 EXII flash in preperation for hummingbird season. I now own a total of 6 speedlights and am currently trying to figure out how to get them all to flash at the same time---Lots of wire and pocket wizards would help. Anyway, This is an effort to try and light everything I want to light at 1/64th of a second and still eliminate outdoor ambient light-----Have I lost my mind?

Bob
    Bob

Well Bob I know "L" disease is real because I now have it. I didn't know it was possible to OD on flash units. Will you be off the AA or should I say FA meetings.

"Hi my name is Bob and I'm addict"

Can you get a patch to ease your cravings?
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Well Bob I know "L" disease is real because I now have it.
    Right now I'm looking at a 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS on CL... I keep thinking, really, another lens in that range? Trying to 'pack light' for a trip next week, and the 28-300 is lighter than the 24-105 + 70-200 II. Then I think...the 1D X is coming...do I really want to subtract money from the fund right now (the stack of bills is currently taller than the 1D X cost, but not quite taller enough...). Then I think, I have nine L lenses, and that's such an uneven number...

Someone, HELP US!

(Enjoy the flash, Bob!)
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 02-01-2012 at 10:49 PM.

It is indeed a disease. There is only one treatment--heliotherapy.

I suppose it's a cheaper affliction, but i'm addicted to buying junk off ebay. Sometimes it's good like my Samyang 35/1.4, Takumar 50/1.4, EF 85/1.8 and 100/2, but then I've got every step ring from 37 to 86mm and back down again, every lensbaby accessory and most of the optics (i really should sell that Muse since I bought my Control Freak), a Pentacon Six with 4 Zeiss lenses (including 2x 50mm f/4 Flektogons because the first was a bit soft and hazy) and almost every other Kiev/Arsenal-made variant from the 30mm fisheye to the Jupiter 250/3.5, filters filters and more filters, latest is a Heliopan CPL and an ND400, too many $3 chinese filters like the 4-, 6-, and 8-point star filters and $5 wasn't so much to see how bad a soft-focus filter can look, was it? And now i've got to go buy a $3 pouch to put all those filters in because they don't all fit in my bag in their boxes, maybe i'll pick up another $6 soft-box or two while i'm there, the first one broke kinda quickly and it's cheaper to buy a new one than a tube of glue...

Hi, my name's Doc C and I have a problem...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    -----Have I lost my mind?
    Bob
    Nope, just a few greenbacks.....It's G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).....to resist is futile, you WILL be assimilated.

There is a 5-step program to help all of you ....

1. Place item in box
    2. Drive to Post Office
    3. Allow clerk to release box from your grip
    4. Mail to Kenosha, WI
    5. Go home and repeat the above

Fee free to call me if you need any help getting through all of the steps, I love helping friends in need!!

Very much looking forward to seeing those new hb photos, Bob!!

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    OK, I have to admit, I just purchased another 430 EXII flash in preperation for hummingbird season. I now own a total of 6 speedlights and am currently trying to figure out how to get them all to flash at the same time---Lots of wire and pocket wizards would help. Anyway, This is an effort to try and light everything I want to light at 1/64th of a second and still eliminate outdoor ambient light-----Have I lost my mind?

Bob
    Yes...you have lost your mind. We know this because we can identify with your problem, it is just that some of us are still in the denial stage and will not admit our problems yet. Telling us about your situation is counterproductive. It is like going to the local bar and trying to get AA help from the patrons. You have to be outside the bar to get real help.

But...on more of an enabler note. I would think some of the strobist here could tell you how to get this done without a massive daisy chain of 430's. Of course it may involve buying more and better lighting systems. This would of course include lights, triggers, portable power, modifiers and I am sure many other expensive things. ....oh and tell the barkeep to hit me with another shot....

When you get this done we ask you give us a report so we can duplicate what you did.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the laughs and and understanding support. To all my fellow addicts, Thanks again for all your support and of course, credit card donations are accepted.

Bob
    Bob

Really 6 Flashes? All bigger than the hummingbirds themselves...they must feel like big champs in your garden I bet you could simulate football-stadium lighting with them. They will probably work even harder to get in the picture. Those are going to be big shots.
    Good luck. I don't know how to technically set it up, but if you're finished, I'd love to see the result

Ps: You might need a "always wear eye-protection" sign at your door to avoid photokeratitis