Thread: FS: PCB Vagabond II

FS: PCB Vagabond II

So I was browsing Ebay a couple of weeks ago when I came across a Vagabond II going for a decent price. On a lark, I added $10 to the bid thinking, "Well, that's a good price for a Vagabond II...I could use another one for that kind of money." However, after I [surprisingly] won the auction, it occurred to me that I already have (3) battery packs--I really don't need a 4th. I'd rather set some money aside and buy a Mola beauty dish instead.

So, I'm posting this Vagabond II for sale. First, for the down and dirty parts:

1) It's missing the shoulder strap. The lightstand straps and cinches are in perfect shape.
    2) It comes with the power cord, but not the car battery hookups (which I have never used, actually)
    3) One of the zippers doesn't work. However, the other one does and you can just zip it all the way around.
    4) The battery, while decently maintained, isn't functioning as well as my other (2) VBIIs. My other packs recycle a full pop from a 640ws White Lightning in about 3 seconds, while this battery takes about 4 seconds. If I didn't already have a couple more VBIIs sitting behind me, I'd gladly keep this one even with its shortcomings. If the recycle time is a huge issue, you can buy a replacement battery on Ebay for a little less than $50.

Here is a shot of the item (attached to my lightstand):

So, that's it. I'm asking $190+20 shipping (continental US). Will take Paypal. If interested, PM me.

How does it compare to the vagabond mini? Besides the mini being smaller. I'm not sure what I'm looking at when I look at the specs.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

The Mini's recycle time is a bit slower, and magnified when you have multiple units attached to it. The Mini also stores less power, so you get less pops power charge. That said, the Mini's battery is easier to keep maintained, and it's smaller/lighter. Personally, I like the capacity and recycle time of the VBII. Also, the weight is fantastic for anchoring a lightstand (which is actually a huge benefit for me).

Sean, not sure if my last post when through. Is the VBII grounded in box or does this unit come with a grounding rod so as to be grounded while using out in the field?

From the VBII manual:

"The Vagabond II system includes a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). A GFCI is an electrical device that monitors the electricity flowing in a circuit to detect ground faults. This built-in GFCI allows for safe operation of the system without the physical ground requirement."

The unit indeed has a port labeled "GND" on it, and ships with a wire to physically ground the unit. However, according to the manual, the explanation of the Ground Outlet states:

"A ground outlet is included but is no longer necessary, as the VII's PSI900GF inverter incorporates a built-in ground fault interrupter and does not need to be physically grounded for safe operation."

Long story short, the unit won't ship with the ground cord, and as noted in the manual, it's not necessary. I've been running two of these in the field and have never manually grounded a unit--and I've never had an issue.

VBII Manual

I'm going to bump this one time before I list it on Ebay. The unit is still available, and works just fine aside from the small reduction in recycle efficiency (due to the battery not being optimally cared for). I used it for this shoot I did recently:

Twenty-four Degrees by budrowilson, on Flickr