Dave,

I agree, the TC crop is better. It remains a little softer than I would have expected... How far away was the eagle and what camera again?

I would be amazed if that shot wasn't taken near Edison, WA in the Skagit Valley... If not we have proven that there are at least two absolutely identical areas (and trees) around the country.

Regarding the TC's... I think, with the 7D I would have good reach... If I needed to use a TC I would simply revert to something they call Manual Focus... It seems as though the AF problems amplify the higher FL that one tries to use so why not just pack it in to start with.

As I first indicated, this whole thing is brought about by some physical limitations that have created the need to "lighten the load" in my pack... every few ounces count. As I have re-thought the situation (for about the hundreth time) I am now of the opinion that my "boonie's" or "travel" pack would consist of the 5D MKII w/ 24/105 and/or the 7D w/70/300 and a 17/55 f/2.8 EF-S (in case I do a "swan dive" with the 5D). That would give me pretty good FL, quality, and back-up.

I am truly impressed with what I have read and heard about the 70/300L.

As for the 100/400 IS (brick) and the 70/200 IS f/2.8 (bigger brick) I am now thinking about keeping them for "local" use or where I know that is the only lens I will need for the intent of the shoot. In that either of them will only bring just over $700 in trade it isn't worth getting rid of them.

Won't even go into the 50 f/1.4 and 100 IS f/2.8 Macro.

I am nothing if not indecisive!!!

I guess, in a few years, I can always use them as "pins" when all that is left for me to do is lawn bowl!!!

Thanks for the help.

Bill