Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three new Lenses Announced: 24-70 f/2.8, 24 f/2.8 and 28 f/2.8

Three new Lenses Announced: 24-70 f/2.8, 24 f/2.8 and 28 f/2.8

So, three new lenses were announced. The long awaited 24-70 f/2.8 II, and two new non-L primes: 24 f/2.8 IS and 28 f/2.8 IS.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ef_lens_lineup

and http://www.the-digital-picture.com/P...-USM-Lens.aspx

Judging from the MTF charts, these are all optically improvements over the existing lenses, perhaps significant improvements.

I am glad to see IS in wide angled primes and to see Canon updating any of it's non-L primes (not the two I would have picked). But to me, this is all very odd. The 24-70 f/2.8 doesn't have IS, but the primes do? The primes are at f/2.8? And all of this for a good amount of cash: the EF 24-70 f/2.8 II at $2,299, and the primes at $849 and $799.

Can't say that I feel like rushing out and buying any of these. I am not the target market for the 24-70 f/2.8, so hopefully the pro/FF photographers enjoy the reduced weight (also in your wallet!) and better IQ. If the primes drop to ~$500-$600 and are reviewed exceptionally well, I'd think about one.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-07-2012 at 11:23 AM.

I'm surprised the 24-70 does not have IS. To get IS in an L zoom you've got to go to the 28-300 or 70-200 lenses. In primes you've got to go all the way to 200 mm. And yet the ef-s 17-55 has IS as do several non-L primes and zooms. That seems like a hole in the lineup to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    I'm surprised the 24-70 does not have IS. To get IS in an L zoom you've got to go to the 28-300 or 70-200 lenses. In primes you've got to go all the way to 200 mm. And yet the ef-s 17-55 has IS as do several non-L primes and zooms. That seems like a hole in the lineup to me.
    I'm surprised (and disappointed) that the new 24-70 doesn't have IS. And, actually ChadS, the two new primes released both have IS (24 & 28). :-)

EDIT: Ah, you're right Neuro. I should stop posting before I have my coffee in the morning.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 02-07-2012 at 12:30 PM.

The new primes aren't L primes, which I think was Chad's point.

$1000 more for 10 cm shorter and a few grams lighter, with a less effective hood design, the possibility of lens creep (they felt the need for a zoom lock), and the added expense of 82mm filters?

Optically, this lens had better be *damn* good... The MTF curves are a definite improvement over the original - but the new lens is the same price as the 70-200 II, which has more glass, has IS, and even better MTF curves.

So far today, I'm not feeling the Canon love.

I was thinking much the same thing when I read the specs, too, Neuro. It seems overpriced for the few benefits you get over the original.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    I'm surprised the 24-70 does not have IS. To get IS in an L zoom you've got to go to the 28-300 or 70-200 lenses. .
    Don't forget the 24-105 has IS.
    I am shocked the new 24-70 does not have IS. Looks like Tamron beat them to it with their new Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD. I am interested in the IQ of this lens
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Don't forget the 24-105 has IS.
    I am shocked the new 24-70 does not have IS. Looks like Tamron beat them to it with their new Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD. I am interested in the IQ of this lens
    Yep, if Tamron's image quality holds up, then it indeed beat Canon to the punch line...with a better punch line. Not yet having seen a sample image using either lens, though, we'll just have to wait and see.

Oops- you're right. The 24-105 L does have IS. I missed that. Not being an f/2.8 lens I hadn't looked at this one as much. So I guess Canon does have an L zoom in the short end. Still no primes below 200 though.

I wonder about the Tamron's AF speed. I know they can make good (and bad) IQ lenses. I have their 90 macro and am quite pleased with the sharpness (granted on 1.6x sensor).

well you guys already covered it but...

While it's nice to see a better-looking MTF chart we all know the theoretical doesn't necessarily translate to the real world. The original 24-70 does have some problems but they fall under the "no lens is perfect" category imo. It's a fine zoom that could've really benefited from IS. Price, size and weight would all have to increase but as it is Canon (nearly) doubled the price without adding the one feature the lens "needed" most.

And short 2.8 primes with 7-blade apertures don't do much for me, IS or no IS.