Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1Dx full Res images

You know.. With my style of shooting, and for my needs.. I'd be perfectly happy with a 22mp 5D MKIII if it meant keeping my glass. As long as there was a notable improvement in IQ, count me in. I'm not in the position you guys are in though.. I went from a Rebel XT to a 7D. I'll be thrilled to get my hands on whatever new full frame body I can. I don't really crop at all these days, I can see how important it can be for bird photography, just doesn't have that much of an impact on me.

Also, still trying to wrap my head around the perceived noise due to higher resolution concept. Expect a new thread with me pleading for you guys to pick up the threads of my constipated thoughts and questions. heh. :P
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by francongphotography View Post
    oh man...well I still got faith in Canon, I'm sure they'll come up with something to compete with Nikon! Don't give up all your hope and equipment of Canon now just because of a new Nikon body!
    That's what I said back when the D700 came out. Still, I'm game to wait a little longer.

A little.

@Rocco If you're having trouble with the noise vs. resolution thing feel free to PM me. I may not be much of a photographer but I understand the physics really well.

1Dx delayed

Just though I'd pass on that the 1Dx is being delayed. Canadian retailers still list them. One of them mentioned on their site that the bodies are expected in May now instead of March.

Makes me wonder how crippled Canon production facilities are by last year's power plant and tsunami disasters. Ever since, products keep getting pushed back. Or is it a sign that Canon is about to make some last minute changes in light of D800 announcement? Hope they don't do something rashly.

JRW

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Makes me wonder how crippled Canon production facilities are by last year's power plant and tsunami disasters. Ever since, products keep getting pushed back. Or is it a sign that Canon is about to make some last minute changes in light of D800 announcement? Hope they don't do something rashly.

JRW
    Canon's largest damage in the tsunami was the plant that makes the big supertelephoto lenses. I think this is why we see a delay in the new 500 and 600mm II's. From what I have read Canon's camera production didn't suffer that much. Also Canon's research and development labs, from what I understand, had no impact at all. On the other side I thought I understood that Nikon's camera production was hurt in the tsunami, and Nikon has reported losses in Thailand.

I would have thought the tsunami would have given Canon an edge up on Nikon, since Canon weathered the storm better than Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    @Rocco If you're having trouble with the noise vs. resolution thing feel free to PM me. I may not be much of a photographer but I understand the physics really well.
    The physics is pretty simple wrt resolution, in that resolution is irrelevant.

JRW - 1DX Delayed - Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if Canon is taking advantage of Nikon's one month delay to get whatever ducks in a row they can (f/8?).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle View Post
    The physics is pretty simple wrt resolution, in that resolution is irrelevant.
    Well, we were discussing the noise level of a 22mp image vs 10mp image in 100% crops. To me the ISO 320 and 640 samples of the D800 looked noisy compared to my 7D.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

For me 32 MP on a FF sensor are useful only in very few application. Landscape photography is not one of those. Diffraction, micro-motion, CA, and lens resolution do not permit to take advantage of the full detail and to have a clean image will be wise to downscale. In addition high ISO performance are worse for sure.

I am not worried with the samples of 1DX, they are all JPG generated in camera and applying a picture stile. All photo at high iso are without noise but also without detail due to the picture style. Likewise in the action photo the red shirt in the background has a lot of artifacts, due to the jpg compression.
    We must wait a RAW file in order to judge.

For me it is much better to have a 18-22 mpx sensor (also the 16 mpx of d4 is excellent, and 24 is the high limit IMHO)

It is interesting to notice that Nikon has confirmed all trouble associated to too much density in the official manual of the D800

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

lesson 1: Use a Tripod

At the high resolutions of ered by the D800/D800E, even the
    slightest camera motion can result in blur . The technique revealed in this section minimizes blur through a combination
    of live view photography and a tripod.

Lesson 2: Use Live View

At the high resolutions of ered by the D800/D800E, even the
    slap of the mirror can sometimes be enough to blur photographs . In live view, the mirror is raised well before the shutter
    is released, helping keep blur to a minimum

Lesson 3: Don't Stop Aperture Down Too Far

Stopping down aperture in manual (h) and aperture-priority
    auto (g) exposure modes increases depth of i eld, bringing
    both background and foreground into focus. Stop aperture
    down too far, however, and dif raction will cause the image to
    actually lose dei nition. L'esempio sulla guida per far vedere gią l'effetto della diffrazione č a f/11

Shutter Speed
    Choose a speed a bit faster than the limit for camera blur.
    The superior resolution of the D800/D800E makes small
    amounts of focus blur more obvious. Select a shutter speed
    slightly faster than you would choose when photographing
    the same subject with other cameras.

The superior resolution of the D800/D800E makes small
    amounts of focus blur more obvious. Select a shutter speed
    slightly faster than you would choose when photographing
    the same subject with other cameras

So in real life shot very very seldom you can benefit from a higher definition obtained by higher density. Off course it is a different story using a larger size sensor!