Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions please on what to use instead of the Canon neck strap.

I love my BlackRapid and like others I use it to carry my 70-200 2.8, and it does so with ease, it's very comfortable.

I got the Black Rapid RS-Sport for Christmas. I don't use the BRAD under-arm attachment much, but it's worth it to have that option. love that it's quite narrow and unobtrusive.

Also means I can easily remove the strap and have a camera that i can whip out of a back quickly without tangling on anything.

Will never put a neck strap on the camera again.

Only possible problem, as mentioned is what to do if you use tripods a lot.

I also use the BR Sport. I got mine over a year ago and haven't looked back. Even considering I have to unscrew the strap and put the tripod plate back on whenever I want to use it.. it's really a non-issue for me considering the massive benefits of having one.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Another vote for Black Rapid here. Very comfortable, works well under a backpack (put the Black Rapid on first.), and much easier on the neck.

The longest/heaviest lens I have is only a 24-105, but even that is a bit uncomfortable on the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Only thing that might cost you a bit is how you attach it to your camera, I bought another Wimberley clamp to attach mine to the camera. The clamp was more than the strap.
    Denise, IIRC you have Arca-Swiss type plates on your camera and probably your 100-400?

My solution was to attach the FastenR-3 (the Blackrapid lug that threads into a tripod socket) into a Kirk 1" clamp (QRC-1, $40 from B&H), semi-permanently with a little Loctite Blue 242 on the threads. It's smaller than the Wimberley clamp (presumably C-12) that Rick mentions, but quite secure. That makes it very easy for me to move the strap from camera to lens or remove it for tripod use.

Lots of details (probably more than you want!) here in this post.

--John
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 02-10-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Heck, I am used to the trail of add-ons that are needed for one item ...isn't that the way it always goes, LOL!
    It never ends....

Following up on what John said, and adding the $40 clamp to the $59 Black Rapid strap will take care of your 100-400mm. I remember when you offered your 100-400mm for sale that you already have the Wimberley clamp on the bottom. $99 is cheaper than a Doctor visit for your back.

When I bought the black rapid I took that opportunity to standardize all of my clamps.
    I had a mix bag of screw in clamps, and Arca-Swiss. Using the clamp on the Black Rapid created a problem, when I wanted to use the camera with a short lens I had to unscrew the clamp. What I did for my camera body so it would be standardized and I would have a solid support on the camera body is I mounted this on the camera body. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Release.html

Now when I mount to the tripod, strap or monopod all of my connections are Arca-Swiss type and not screw type. The Black Rapid I leave the clamp on dedicated to just it. No doubt there are cheaper ways, perhaps just getting an extra screw connection from Black Rapid so you do not have to remove the clamp from the screw. I went this way to keep it all standard.

Good Luck Denise

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Now when I mount to the tripod, strap or monopod all of my connections are Arca-Swiss type and not screw type. The Black Rapid I leave the clamp on dedicated to just it. No doubt there are cheaper ways, perhaps just getting an extra screw connection from Black Rapid so you do not have to remove the clamp from the screw. I went this way to keep it all standard.
    Ditto. I've got the same P-5 plate you link on the bottom of my 5DII, P-20 plates on my tripod collars, and Wimberley C-12 clamps on my tripod and monopod heads. The only place I don't have an AS-type connection is on my 7D - it's not a big deal, as I almost always use the 100-400mm on that body, and my plan was to get a Kirk/RRS L-bracket for the 1D X, then transfer the P-5 plate to the 7D when I sell the 5DII.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Denise, IIRC you have Arca-Swiss type plates on your camera and probably your 100-400?

My solution was to attach the FastenR-3 (the Blackrapid lug that threads into a tripod socket) into a Kirk 1" clamp (QRC-1, $40 from B&H), semi-permanently with a little Loctite Blue 242 on the threads. It's smaller than the Wimberley clamp (presumably C-12) that Rick mentions, but quite secure. That makes it very easy for me to move the strap from camera to lens or remove it for tripod use.

Lots of details (probably more than you want!) here in this post.

--John
    Yes, John you are correct and wow, lots to look at and consider! I guess more of "this and that" goes into having a correct set-up than I had thought would!

I own the black rapid sport RS. It is such a good strap for carrying my camera around. My biggest beef with it is when I attach my 15-85 lens to whichever body I'm using, it hangs real weird with the lens down. I'm always afraid I'm going to swing around a leg in a trail and catch a tree with it. It is also not very conducive to using a tripod. I would rather not have to buy a separate plate to attache a tripod mount to as well as the strap ring. Recently I've found an item called the Peak Design Capture Camera Clip System. It is a pretty cool looking clip that you can clamp to a backpack strap, a belt strap or whatever. The attach plate that mounts to the camera that clips into the clamp is also an Arca classic plate. I recommend giving it a look before you make a decision. I'm probably about two more nights of sleeping on it before I get one. Here's the website.

peakdesignltd.com/

Thanks! I had never heard of Peak Design, I will most definitely have to take a look! I am just hoping to have one in place before I start doing alot of hiking again come spring.