Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions please on what to use instead of the Canon neck strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    I am about to order the BosStrap shoulder sling strap. Their marketing kind of spoke to me, as did the cheaper price, and if anything it looks more solid than the big name brand, which I did try out at the store.

It does NOT screw into your tripod screw on the bottom of the camera. It attaches to the left strap loop on your camera instead, keeping the tripod socket open for, well, tripods.

Also some reviewers on the bigger name shoulder slings said that that bottom screw can come loose from the tripod hole, because you have a metal to metal screw connection and the camera is hanging and swinging from that connection. You can actually drop the camera, or else (according to one reviewer) you may be constantly worrying and fiddling and checking to see if it needs re-tightening yet.

I see they have developed brackets or adapters you can add to address this, but, hey, that is even more money.
    Alot of good suggestions here! Scott, please leave a review here of what you think of this once you have had a chance to use it for awhile.

Thanks and I hope it works out for you!

Denise

My Blackrapid has never worked loose. There's a rubber washer around the screw which once tightened provides much more than enough friction to stop unwanted rotation.
    I agree, As I said before, I have had my 7D and 100-400 hanging from the black rapid strap during football games and on several walks through the woods and mountains, zoo etc----It has never loosened. The rubber washer works well to prevent it from working itself loose. As far as intereference with tripod mounting.....well, It takes me much longer to set-up a tripod than it does to spin the D ring off. The extra 10 second it takes to dismount the the BR strap from the camera plate just doesn't seem to matter much to me. If I do need that 10 seconds, then the tripod is much more of a problem than the strap.
    Bob

I got the black rapid Dr-2 double strap

I love it.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I have waffled since my earlier post favoring BosStrap. Here is one that looks quite interesting, and there is a ton of chatter on this in Fred Miranda and POTN (I just figured out what that acronym is-duh). Check out the "Cinch" here: http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

This has TWO attachments, one on the left camera strap post and the other is a tripod mount (on body or on lens foot). The camera is thus forced to press flat against your body instead of twisting and swinging on just one attachment point.

And the "cinch" mechanism seems like very good reasoning. It lets you quickly shorten it up for walking so the camera does not swing or dangle. Then to take a shot, you lengthen it with another tug on the strap.
    Last edited by Scott Stephen; 04-22-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Here is my favorite and its made in the USA. Very soft and comfortable around the neck.
    Mark

Mark - That looks as light as air
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Mark - That looks as light as air
    oops
    http://optechusa.com/classic-strap.h...+N%2F+Mark+III
    Mark

I have something very simular. It is a 100 times better than the canon strap. I like the soft neoprean and it has a lot of stretch to it. I have always worried about accidently releasing the clips and dropping the camera, but I also like being able to disconnect it to get it out of the way when the camera is on the tripod.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I'm using a similar one, the classic strap + the sling strap adapter and liking it so far.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    I have waffled since my earlier post favoring BosStrap. Here is one that looks quite interesting, and there is a ton of chatter on this in Fred Miranda and POTN (I just figured out what that acronym is-duh). Check out the "Cinch" here: http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

This has TWO attachments, one on the left camera strap post and the other is a tripod mount (on body or on lens foot). The camera is thus forced to press flat against your body instead of twisting and swinging on just one attachment point.

And the "cinch" mechanism seems like very good reasoning. It lets you quickly shorten it up for walking so the camera does not swing or dangle. Then to take a shot, you lengthen it with another tug on the strap.
    OK-I just ordered this Cinch strap. http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch
    I HATE it when the camera is banging into my chest or swinging around dangerously. Assuming the "snug-up" and "un-snug" action is as easy as the two outdoors-y guys in the product demo video make it seem, this is exactly what I was looking for.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes