Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions please on what to use instead of the Canon neck strap.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Suggestions please on what to use instead of the Canon neck strap.

Since I have started photography two years ago, I have been using the standard Canon neck strap. Over the past summer, I noticed I wasn't able to walk as far on hikes as I used to with the 100-400mm hanging from my neck (and sometimes a bag on my back loaded with gear). I also noticed I wasn't standing properly and my lower back was curving in more with hips forward to balance and that is where the pain was slowly starting. Over the last couple months it had gotten progressively worse, I could barely make it through cooking dinner. I could only stand for about an hour every day before lower back pain started. I bit the bullet and endured ...and still went on my nature hike adventures! Well, now ...I am in never ending severe pain! I lost track of how many ibuprofens I've had today!

I'm sure the 100-400mm with the neck strap isn't completely to blame. I could see someone getting neck or shoulder pain but lower back pain like this!? My desk chair at home isn't as good as the one I used to have at my old job ...I'd rather blame it on that!

Anyway, could someone please recommend something that I should be using instead that isn't expensive that might help. I'm not ready to admit that I can't physically do this anymore! Maybe I'll hang it up for awhile until things improve and use something else when spring comes.

Thanks much!

Denise

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Strap.html

Black Rapid it is the way to go.
    http://www.blackrapid.com/

They also make versions just for women. Go watch some of the videos on the site, very informative.

For the pain and back problems, I would recommend a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Strap.html

Black Rapid it is the way to go.
    http://www.blackrapid.com/

They also make versions just for women. Go watch some of the videos on the site, very informative.

For the pain and back problems, I would recommend a doctor.
    Yeah Denise, what HD said, I have a black rapid and love it. Easy to carry, comfortable with a 7d and 100-400, Easy to grab and shoot (even faster than a neck strap) The female version is designed to accomodate your female parts comfortably ---or so they say?
    Bob

I don't recall the brand name unfortunately, but I do recall seeing padded pouches, designed for camera bodies with lenses attached, that mount to a waist belt. For improved comfort, and carrying capacity, there were wide padded shoulder straps to hold up the load. As a bonus, they will also carry water bottles for those hikes. Maybe someone else out there will know who makes it.?

BlackRapid, definitely.

Thank you! I'll take a look at them.
    Last edited by ddt0725; 02-10-2012 at 03:03 AM.

I'll put the cat amongst the pigeons and say Nex7. 24Mp adapter for Canon lenses. There are some very good images on Flickr & FM.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Denise to give you some more info, I bought mine a few months back because I got tired of the pull on my neck from the camera strap like you described. The blackrapid will move the weight more to your shoulder and because it carries so low it feels much ..MUCH better. A few weeks back I went to the Zoo on Saturday and Sunday, I carried my 300mm F2.8L and 1D IV on the blackrapid for hours on end. It was not much effort at all compared to the old neck strap.

If your not sure, and you can find a local camera shop that has one, try it out. Only thing that might cost you a bit is how you attach it to your camera, I bought another Wimberley clamp to attach mine to the camera. The clamp was more than the strap.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Only thing that might cost you a bit is how you attach it to your camera, I bought another Wimberley clamp to attach mine to the camera. The clamp was more than the strap.
    Heck, I am used to the trail of add-ons that are needed for one item ...isn't that the way it always goes, LOL!
    Last edited by ddt0725; 02-10-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Heck, I am used to the trail of add-ons that are needed for one item ...isn't that the way it always goes, LOL!
    It never ends....

Following up on what John said, and adding the $40 clamp to the $59 Black Rapid strap will take care of your 100-400mm. I remember when you offered your 100-400mm for sale that you already have the Wimberley clamp on the bottom. $99 is cheaper than a Doctor visit for your back.

When I bought the black rapid I took that opportunity to standardize all of my clamps.
    I had a mix bag of screw in clamps, and Arca-Swiss. Using the clamp on the Black Rapid created a problem, when I wanted to use the camera with a short lens I had to unscrew the clamp. What I did for my camera body so it would be standardized and I would have a solid support on the camera body is I mounted this on the camera body. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Release.html

Now when I mount to the tripod, strap or monopod all of my connections are Arca-Swiss type and not screw type. The Black Rapid I leave the clamp on dedicated to just it. No doubt there are cheaper ways, perhaps just getting an extra screw connection from Black Rapid so you do not have to remove the clamp from the screw. I went this way to keep it all standard.

Good Luck Denise