Since I have started photography two years ago, I have been using the standard Canon neck strap. Over the past summer, I noticed I wasn't able to walk as far on hikes as I used to with the 100-400mm hanging from my neck (and sometimes a bag on my back loaded with gear). I also noticed I wasn't standing properly and my lower back was curving in more with hips forward to balance and that is where the pain was slowly starting. Over the last couple months it had gotten progressively worse, I could barely make it through cooking dinner. I could only stand for about an hour every day before lower back pain started. I bit the bullet and endured ...and still went on my nature hike adventures! Well, now ...I am in never ending severe pain! I lost track of how many ibuprofens I've had today!

I'm sure the 100-400mm with the neck strap isn't completely to blame. I could see someone getting neck or shoulder pain but lower back pain like this!? My desk chair at home isn't as good as the one I used to have at my old job ...I'd rather blame it on that!

Anyway, could someone please recommend something that I should be using instead that isn't expensive that might help. I'm not ready to admit that I can't physically do this anymore! Maybe I'll hang it up for awhile until things improve and use something else when spring comes.

Thanks much!

Denise