Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New image

@NWBill Rather than trying to nail everything one photo at a time you need to go out and do the same exercise that all of us have done at one point: try everything.

If you're shooting a picture of the tree use Av mode at f/4, f/5.6/ f/8, f/11.3, f/16 (You can stop there) at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, and H. Leave IS on so that the higher f/#, lower ISO shots have a chance at being anything. To keep the shots the same use autofocus (use the center one only to know exactly what you're shooting at) then turn AF off on the lens. You're shooting digital so it's free to blast the entire series.

You'll see how fast you can push the 'film' before noise kills you, the depth-of-field effect of changing apertures and the steadiness (or not) of handholding your lens even with IS. Eventually you'll start shooting moving targets then shutter speed becomes important. For stationary targets the shutter speed is somewhat irrelevant and only allows more or less light in.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWoods Bill View Post
    Regarding focus: Would I have been better off limiting the AF on the camera to one point so I have complete control over what it is focusing on?

I cant thank everyone enough for being tolerant of newbie questions and willing to take the time to help.
    AF is fine but you need to know what points are lighting up - and there are no guarantees that your camera is actually focusing on that spot anyways (the T2i lacks a feature called autofocus microadjustment so you're relying on the lens and camera playing nicely. My 70-200 f/4 IS plays nicely with my T2i my 85 f/1.2 does not).

No worries about being a newbie. All of us had to learn at some point. You have the advantage of the internet. My photography classes in high school were a bit before that time... The upside is that all the portrait shots of my female classmates have some really bad 80's hair that I love to put up on Facebook.

The upside is that all the portrait shots of my female classmates have some really bad 80's hair that I love to put up on Facebook.

Chad - Thanks. That is probably a great idea. Hopefully no snow this friday and I will get a chance to do exactly that.

I am also taking the first 2 hours of a 4 hour class tomorrow night. The class is put on by a local art guild. The synopsis says that the instructor can show ANYBODY how to take great shots - time will tell....

Bill, my camera is set at single point and single shot auto focus almost 90% of the time. I move it off of those settings if I see a need. Single point will be the most accurate for you.

The pine needles were not noise. You will first see noise in the darker parts of a picture, if it has noise. Perhaps someone can post a picture for you that would demonstrate this. I would post one but my pictures never have noise. (of course this is a lie, I am at work now and not sure I have a good one available here to show)

Bill, this is a noisy shot. It was a dark living room illuminated by my mother-in-law's nook and the television.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	532

edit: the lower-res upload isn't as bad as the original. However, you can still see some noise in the color of the wall in the background or the purple sweater.

Maybe this one would demonstrate it. ISO 3200, 1/50 F1.8. The slight blur of the horse and wagon is because of the slow shutter speed. Not as sharp as I would like because I went down to F/1.8.
    So none of that is noise, but it has plenty of noise and it is the easiest to see in the black background.

Festival of Lights Wagon by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWoods Bill View Post
    they look just a tiny bit pixelated, maybe?
    On your computer, if you zoom in more than 100% you will see the pixelation with any digital image. We call this the 100% crop. You want to strive for the lowest, or acceptable, noise at the 100% crop.
    Mark

Clemmb,
    Thanks for that explanation. That was indeed what I was doing. Took a few more shots today - very overcast so not really enough light but still I think I am developing a clear beginner's understanding of how ISO, aperture, available light and shutter speed play together.

Here's a good paper on noise. It's pretty technical, but the author does a good job explaining in layman's terms. Lots of "in other words" explanations.

http://theory.uchicago.edu/~ejm/pix/20d/tests/noise/
    Mark - Flickr