Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Tripod. Recommendations please.

I recently bought a Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 804RC2 head. It easily supports a 500D with a 70-200 f/4, has a pretty good height and is rock solid. It was for 220€ on Amazon.fr, probably you could find similar prices in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    A very detailed Manfrotto 055XPROB and 488RC2 (new version would be 498RC2) is available here.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=529785

I had this setup given to me for my birthday and it seems very solid.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Looking at Jessops for some costs, here's what I'd recommend as a starter set:

• Manfrotto 055XPROB = £105
    • Manfrotto 498RC2 = £87
    • TOTAL = £192

You might want to read this article, which advises just getting the best from the start, and makes some good points. But take a rational approach (and keep in mind that the author just assumes you'll chuck the gear you don't want anymore into the bin, instead of selling it to recoup some of the loss).

One more suggestion - go into a shop and try some out. Manfrotto uses lever-locks for the legs, other brands use twist-locks. Play with the heads. See how easy it is to extend/collapse the legs. Find something that's comfortable for you to use.

Hope that helps...
    That set-up looks like it'll do what I need.

I completely understand the necessity not to go cheap, and I don't want to, but equally I don't want to throw money at something when it'll be overkill for how much I'll actually use it. To me, £200 (would £50 more get me anything extra/better/lighter that's worth having?) is a good price, but I'd go a bit higher if it was worth it VfM-wise.

That review is very good, I'm only 5'10, so I assume I just wouldn't extend the legs fully? How does the extending neck swing? Through the gaps in two of the legs?

(Edit: looking at this, he uses a grip, I don't, that'll make it about my height. Lovely)

Quote Originally Posted by patham View Post
    I recently bought a Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 804RC2 head. It easily supports a 500D with a 70-200 f/4, has a pretty good height and is rock solid. It was for 220€ on Amazon.fr, probably you could find similar prices in the UK
    What differences are there with that head and the 498RC2?

Thanks for your help all, seems like an absolute minefield fo letters and numbers, and that clarifies it a bit.
    Last edited by ham; 02-15-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Hi, I have the 055XPROB/498RC2 combo and I'm quite happy with it. It's not too expensive, it's quite steady, but it's not what you would consider lightweight. If light weight isn't high priority, this is a reasonable (and very popular) way to go.

I use a RRS TVC-34L and RRS BH55 LR ballhead. However this is very expensive for a first tripod. (think ~$2000). In saying that, I will never need another tripod... EVER.

If I was in your position, I'd probably look at induro tripods. The traveller series tripods are nice and compact and the carbon fibre pods also look really nice. I did a lot of research into tripods prior to purchasing the RRS and I actually pulled the trigger on an induro ct414 however they didn't have stock in Australia at the time. While researching the Induros I couldn't find a bad review on them.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I'm pretty sure one of our regular members Denise uses an induro CT313 (?) so maybe see if she can give you an opinon.

BTW - the Induros are much less costly than the Gitzos and RRS's.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Why would you recommend Induro over the Manfrotto set-up?

I have no idea what I'm looking for on the Induro site. They seem to list nothing but the sizes, weights and loads of their tripods. Other than that they all look the same to me
    Last edited by ham; 02-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.

The Manfrotto 804 is a pan/tilt head (each axis independently controlled by separate levers). Pan/tilts are good for video shooting (though fluid heads are better). For stills, a ballhead like the 498 is much better - loosen one knob, point camera where you want it, tighten knob, done. The 498 has a separate panorama control, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    How does the extending neck swing? Through the gaps in two of the legs?
    I can probably best answer this with a video (time 2:05). You push a button and pull it through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmenklsAZX8

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    I'm pretty sure one of our regular members Denise uses an induro CT313 (?) so maybe see if she can give you an opinon.

BTW - the Induros are much less costly than the Gitzos and RRS's.
    Actually, I have the CT213 which is a step below the CT313 for height and load capacity. Both are carbon fiber. I chose the CT213 mainly for the price. It along with the BHD2 ballhead that I bought at the same time fit perfectly in my price range. I knew I definitely wanted carbon fiber and most can get pretty costly. Also, with my being 5'5", it was all I needed for height. The weight of it is perfect for me to carry around and its folded length is only 25". In fact, I was surprised how long I can go on a hike carrying it! I also wanted something that had 3-section legs and a very minimal height when using a short column (purchased seperately) for macro work, this one is about 7 inches.

I do not have any experience with other tripod brands and I am sure there are much better out there but I bought mine in 2009 and it has held up very, very well! For me, it has been money well spent!

Good luck with finding what will work best for you!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    Why would you recommend Induro over the Manfrotto set-up?

I have no idea what I'm looking for on the Induro site. They seem to list nothing but the sizes, weights and loads of their tripods. Other than that they all look the same to me
    Sorry - I wasn't recommending the Induros over the Manfrottos, just another suggestion. Manfrotto are a very reputable brand so you're sure to get good quality gear from those as well. I guess the reason I looked at Induro when I did was that the CT414 suited my needs very well, and they were a lot cheaper than other brands at the time.

There's a million options out there for tripods so it can get very confusing.

This reminds me - I still haven't reviewed my RRS34L for everybody. Might have a crack at it tonight.