Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Tripod. Recommendations please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I can probably best answer this with a video (time 2:05). You push a button and pull it through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmenklsAZX8

Dave
    Dave, Excellent video.

I'm really beginning to like this set-up, but I've read some reviews which say it's a little on the heavy-side, which makes me think perhaps that's what I should spend a bit more to reduce? How much more am I looking at for an equivalent that's CF or some other more lightweight material?

It's also tall, I'm unlikely to need one that tall, will that get me something lighter? Or even cheaper?

btaylor, you're not wrong about there being millions of options. I might just pop into my local Jacobs and Jessops on Friday and see what they recommend, but I'm always wary of shops either not having practical knowledge, or being influenced by the company to push certain products.

Denise, you mentioned the short column for macro-work, would the moving column on the manfrotto have solved that for you without an extra purchase. It looks an excellent addition for me, as macro is something I could well be looking at in the future.
    Last edited by ham; 02-16-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    Dave, Excellent video.

Denise, you mentioned the short column for macro-work, would the moving column on the manfrotto have solved that for you without an extra purchase. It looks an excellent addition for me, as macro is something I could well be looking at in the future.
    That video helped me out also! A few months back, I posted a thread asking which tripod to get that had the moving center column ...

http://community.the-digital-picture...ghlight=tripod

I still haven't purchased one but am taking a closer look at the Manfrotto as a future purchase. At the time that I bought my first legs, I did not know this existed. I was such a newbie that I probably wouldn't have seen the benefit of it at the time. But now, it would come so in handy with tabletop photography and shooting in my flower gardens. In fact, I was about to buy a gorillapod for tabletop instead just the other day.

I'm so glad for this site. If I didn't ask so many gear questions here I'd either have wasted tonnes of money, or be limited by some poor decision to buy the first thing recommended to me elsewhere. And that's why I always wait until I'm dead sure before buying something, I hate regretting a purchase, especially when it's relatively expensive.

Seriously, you guys are awesome. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for getting me back on track with this. I just ordered an aluminum alloy one with a moving center column for less than $100! I think it will be fine for what I need it for since I already have a CF tripod.

Dave, Excellent video.

I'm really beginning to like this set-up, but I've read some reviews which say it's a little on the heavy-side, which makes me think perhaps that's what I should spend a bit more to reduce? How much more am I looking at for an equivalent that's CF or some other more lightweight material?

It's also tall, I'm unlikely to need one that tall, will that get me something lighter? Or even cheaper?

btaylor, you're not wrong about there being millions of options. I might just pop into my local Jacobs and Jessops on Friday and see what they recommend, but I'm always wary of shops either not having practical knowledge, or being influenced by the company to push certain products.

Ham,

Carbon fiber from Manfrotto would appear to be about twice as expensive. There may be other options though. Different brands may have something or you could look at the 190 series. Something like the 190XPROB could work, but it will be 7" shorter without the center extension. That may mean you'd need to extend it frequently and then may not have a stable a setup.

Dave

I don't think I'll miss 7 inches tbh, the number of times I'll need full head-height reach when 5' isn't enough is going to be minimal I would've thought.

I've had a better think about this, and played with them in shops, and I think I prefer the weight of the 190XPROB to the 055. If I was to go for the lighter legs, should I be going for a smaller/lighter ballhead in the 496RC2? I'm not sure I've got the presence of thought when shooting to use a 3-way, having played with a couple, and I don't know how much use I'd get out of the panning function on the 498.

Any thoughts?

I've had a better think about this, and played with them in shops, and I think I prefer the weight of the 190XPROB to the 055. If I was to go for the lighter legs, should I be going for a smaller/lighter ballhead in the 496RC2?
    The 496 would hold your current gear as well as the 498. The 498 allows for some future growth, should you decide to get a telephoto lens down the line, you'd likely need a new head as well, if you get the 496 now.

I don't know how much use I'd get out of the panning function on the 498.
    Hmmm... In your opening post of the thread, you stated:

I might have a pretty unique opportunity in the coming months to go onto the roof of pretty tall building in London.
    ...and that would be definitely​ be a time I'd want a panning feature on my tripod!

That sounds like a plan. I've just never felt the need to take a panorama/stitched shot before, but I suppose for £20, it means I'll always have that option.

Finally, BlackRapid Tripod mount nuts, do I need to buy one with a longer thread to attach the quick release plate and still have the option of using the BR strap? It's the RS Sport fwiw.

Finally, BlackRapid Tripod mount nuts, do I need to buy one with a longer thread to attach the quick release plate and still have the option of using the BR strap? It's the RS Sport fwiw.
    What you need is the Blackrapid FastenR-T1. You remove the D-ring that's part of the Manfrotto RC2 plate, and replace it with the FastenR-T1, which is designed to handle the load (unlike the one on the plate).