Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really Right Stuff TVC-34LTripod and BH-55 LR Ball Head Review

Well done review Ben. I must say, at this very moment I am in violation of the tenth commandment--"though shalt not covet thy neighbors stuff". When I was in the process of choosing a high end tripod, the TVC 34 was the one I wanted as well, but RRS was 3 months behind in production and that money was burning a hole in my pocket, which is the only reason I purchased the Gitzo. At some point in the near future, I am hoping to by another tripod I can permanantly attach a full gimbal head to. When I do, It will be the TVC 34. I already have a BH55 ball head and love it.

Thanks for the review,
    Bob

Bob feel free to live your tripodding dreams vicariously through me until you get one yourself. I did have to wait a couple of weeks for mine to arrive as I got it soon after its release, so there was a bit of a back order. Worth the wait though
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I'm a Really big fan of Really Right Stuff, and this review was what got me going towards putting in an order for the TVC-34L. They told me that it was on backorder, but amazingly it came in just two days (!). Out of the box, I'm Really impressed with it. Rock solid (of course), and easy to operate. It's also lighter than I expected (but still a tad hefty). The twist-locks are huge and the angle locks for the legs are very easy to get at. I think it's going to be terrific for cold weather shooting (which is 8 months of the year, up here). The foot pods are securely mounted to the legs, unlike on my Gitzo tripod where they come off way too easily. I love the huge height and I am very happy to be rid of the centre column. I also purchased the leveling base, which is a brilliant accessory. Here's a link to the description:
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...latform&key=it
    I might end up replacing the handle on this base for the one that includes the hook... I'll have to see how that goes.

Thanks Ben for your review... I might not say that when my credit card bill arrives but I will definitely say it now!

Congrats Jonathon---My guess is that you are really going to like that tripod---I have been drooling over it for quite some time---When you have a chance to run it through a work out, be sure and let us know what you think.

Bob
    Bob

Good stuff Jonathan. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I've been looking at the levelling base myself, might go for one at some stage too.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Yes my first impressions are still very good. I have the ballhead on right now, and the leveling base isn't all that necessary with it. But I also got the PG-02 Pano-Gimbal head, and I'm expecting the leveling base to work very well with that. Just waiting patiently for the 500 f/4 to arrive (this year I hope...), and I'll be ready to give it a Really good test.