Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really Right Stuff TVC-34LTripod and BH-55 LR Ball Head Review

Really Right Stuff TVC-34LTripod and BH-55 LR Ball Head Review

Hi guys,
    A looooooong time ago I promised a review of the Really Right Stuff TVC-34L and BH-55 ball head with lever release. RRS's top of the line four section carbon fibre tripod and ball head combo (for my needs anyway). I apologise in advance for the quality of some of the pics (most were taken with a point and shoot) and don't chastise me for the dust on my camera either :-)

A bit of background first - I shoot absolutely anything, however I particularly enjoy really taking the time to set up a shot properly and that's when a tripod is invaluable for me. I used to use a much smaller aluminium tripod that I picked up in Vietnam for something like $45 US. It served me very well for a while but in the end the weight of my equipment well and truly overloaded that tripod's capacity. So an upgrade was in order. I remember reading a great post once from one of our members around the money people spend on tripods and heads when they slowly upgrade rather than buying something that will do the job for a lifetime so that was in the back of my mind.

RRS BH-55 Ball Head:

The biggest frustration for me was the "droop" in the ball head when I tensioned the ball and let go of the camera, so that's where I started. I tossed up between Acratech, Arca Swiss, Induro and Really Right Stuff. In the end the RRS BH55 suited me best in terms of price, capacity and attention to detail - that and the fact that I haven't seen a bad review on them anywhere. You're probably thinking that the RRS's price wouldn't be a tick in the box but have a look at the price of Arca-Swiss ball heads... wow.

So I ordered the RRS BH-55 (the 55 stands for a 55mm diameter ball) full size ball head with the lever release clamp, a camera plate to fit the battery grip on the 5D Mark II and a lens plate for the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. When the package arrived I was certain I'd made the right choice. First impressions were that the ball head is huge - much bigger than my old one. In saying that it's actually quite short compared to others in this class. Next was that attention to detail is spot on - every component is machined to perfection, even the lens/camera plates are fantastic. The next thing I noticed was how smooth everything was (and there is no lubrication on the ball itself), obviously a function of the build quality. The whole lot comes in a good padded bag to protect the head from dust/ knocks when travelling around.

IMG_3492_800px by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

The picture above shows the various components of the BH55. The tension adjustment works really well, depending on the weight it's holding I have it adjusted so that it will just hold firm with the main locking knob completely released. This way it only takes a small force to adjust your framing smoothly without worrying about it moving once you let go. There's anodised microadjustment markers (0-9) so you can set it differently for each lens combo but I don't really worry about that, I just do it on the fly as it's a quick process.

The pan locking knob is pretty straightforward, it locks the position of the panning function. From what I gather panning uses a braking system pretty much like the drum brakes on a car to stop movement. There's laser engraved markers at 2.5°, I haven't really had a use for them yet but they look pretty fancy. Anyway, panning is ridiculously smooth and it works as it should.

The main locking knob is something I like. It's big, so it's easy to find if you're looking through the viewfinder, it's tapered so it feels good in the hand and again it's silky smooth. It takes very little force to secure the ball head in position so there's no need to over tighten or get your ring spanner out to stop the camera moving once you let go of it. There's also two cut out notches out front for those times when you need to view at extreme angles.

Overall the ball head is perfect for me. There is absolutely no movement once I lock it in place, it's so smooth to operate, is quick to use and so far has been robust enough to withstand from 45°C heat out here in outback Australia, to -15°C in Iceland. Here's proof - it was that cold in Iceland at night while photographing the Northern Lights that it was covered in ice and still worked flawlessly, on the other hand I couldn't feel my face.

PB170152 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

Lever Release Clamp:

The lever release clamp is very nice also. On my old ball head the lever itself would hold the plate in place, so there was only one point whereby the plate was in contact with the lever to secure it. The RRS lever release actually moves one whole side of the clamp. So there's an entire surface as wide as the clamp that's in contact with the plate so it's never going to slide out or move.See below:

Open:

IMG_2908 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

90% Closed:

IMG_2907 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

Locked Closed:

IMG_2906 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

Open:

IMG_2910 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

Closed:

IMG_2911 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

Again, the lever release clamp is very smooth. The lever is nice and long so it's easy to close and it takes minimal effort to lock it in place. The plates slide in and out of the clamp nicely. It's exactly what I need.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Camera / Lens Plates:
    The camera plates are fantastic, they really are. One thing I really didn't like about my old plates were that they were so thick that they'd annoy me while holding the camera in portrait orientation.

The RRS plates are nice and slim. The camera plate is tapered so it wraps slightly around the front of the battery grip, not only does this make is nicer to hold it helps it stay in position as there's no way it can rotate around the locking screw. The plates secure perfectly to the lever release, there is absolutely no play once the lever release is fastened.

Front:

IMG_2898 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

Back:

IMG_2899 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

Bottom:

IMG_2900 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II Lens Plate:

IMG_2913 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

IMG_2914 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

So the top part of my combo has made me very happy indeed. I can't think of anything I would improve except maybe that the bubble level on the quick release clamp can sometimes be hard to see as I like to have the lever on the back side which means the level is on the lens side. In saying that I use a hot shoe bubble level so it's not a deal breaker.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

The Tripod:

I'd basically decided from the outset that I'd be going to carbon fibre for its lighter weight and better vibration dampening abilities. As we all know, the options out there from various manufacturers is endless and the process of choosing the right one can be daunting. I researched the hell out of tripods and in the end I decided that I couldn't afford a Gitzo or Really Right Stuff so I'd settled on the Induro CT414. I put the order in, semi-confident that I'd made the right compromise between price and quality however in the back of my mind I still had the RRS floating around. As fate would have it the CT414 was unavailable in Australia at the time due to an extended backorder so I decided to cancel my order and start again.

Blown away by the quality of the RRS BH55 ball head, I figured there's a good chance their tripods were built to the same high standard. So I returned to the RRS website after coming to terms with the fact that I'd be spending a lot more than I originally intended. I did consider a Gitzo but they just didn't have a tripod that suited exactly what I wanted.

I chose the TVC-34L in the end for a number of reasons:

Load capacity - 23kg is probably overkill for my kit but I've just future proofed myself if I ever want to buy a 600mm prime.

Carbon Fibre - lightweight, strong, etc etc

Height - I'm 6' and I hated having to bend down to look through the viewfinder with my old tripod. The 34L extends to 173.4cm / 68". So once the camera is on top it's well and truly above my head which gives me some flexibility for different terrain. With three of the leg sections extended it's still a reasonable height for me - only having to bend down slightly to see the viewfinder.

Three leg sections extended (good looking bloke right there, looking a bit stern though):

IMG_3497-2 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

Fully Extended:

IMG_3500-2 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

All leg sections retracted. Notice the weave pattern on the legs, looks stunning.

IMG_3477 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

No centre column - I can basically sit the base of the ball head on the ground with the legs locked in place. This is a nice feature for many genres of photography.

IMG_3480 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

There's a lot of other features of the tripod that make it a fantastic piece of gear.

The twisting leg locks are rubberised for grip and only require a small twist to lock/unlock. They fit very nicely in the hand and they just work, so that's good. The leg sections themselves do not rotate.

Adjusting the angle of the legs is very easy. To widen, simply push the inside of the leg lock out with your finger and widen the stance. To close up you just move the legs in and the ratcheting angle stops click away as the leg moves, automatically locking to that angle as you go. It's simple and effective.

IMG_3493 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

The apex of the tripod is secured via three locking allen screws so there's no chance it coming off if you're carrying your tripod around with the camera attached and causing an expensive little accident in the process. This apex plate can be replaced with a levelling base or a centre column too. There's a weight hook attached to the base of the apex plate for added stability if required.

IMG_2916 by Ben's Reviews, on Flickr

All in all the tripod is rock solid, lightweight for its load carrying capacity and built to the highest of standards. I'll never have to upgrade this tripod, maybe just a wimberly style head if the need ever arises. I'm insanely happy with this purchase - it's been all over the world with me now and hasn't missed a beat. Let's be honest, it's not a cheap solution but in this case you definitely get what you pay for.

Thanks for reading - if anybody has any questions ask away, I'm more than happy to answer.

Cheers,
    Ben.

Awesome review. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Wow great review. I have seen the tripods "little" brother(TVC-33) in the local store and I loved it. You pay a lot, but it feels amazing. I still work with the 45 dollar aluminum tripod that you talked about, we'll see how long that lasts. Till now the price/quality ratio has been good enough for me. I can work with it's defects.
    By the way...I never had a tripod that made me look small haha great shot

Ditto...I still use a Manfrotto tripod I got as a wedding gift. It works, but I've started looking for lighter options as packing it in places is getting tiring.

Ben...great review...thanks for taking the time and effort.

Maaate, throw a tarp over that setup and you could have a snooze underneath it.
    Thanks for the review Ben, well written and illustrated. Great exposure for a very good product.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Thanks gents - it's only slightly overdue.

Bah! SO jealous. You have here the exact tripod and head combo I have been wanting for some time now. Somehow other equipment keeps taking priority over an upgrade to this for me. Maybe I need to rethink that. My current head is starting to sag.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Honestly Rocco it's one of the better investments I've made (in terms of photography anyway). It's a pleasure to use something so well made. Makes using a tripod much less of a chore.