Thread: Shooting to Laptop

Shooting to Laptop

I am just curious what software is being used when shooting with a dslr directly to a laptop? I took a class last night and the instructor was shooting directly to a Mac. I asked about the software and he said it was Capture. I have googled it without any luck.

I will be shooting with a Rebel T2i to a Dell Laptop (Windows O/S)

Thanks

Bill,

The software that came with your Canon allows you to do this - the one called EOS Utility has a remote shooting option (over USB so the image transfer is slow).

As Chad said: It's called EOS Utility. It's also a handy piece of software if you want to do multiple shots on an interval. You can just set up the variables and the camera will take a shot every X seconds.

Will it allow some basic manipulation, just to get an idea of how the image looks?
    Obviuosly actual editing would occur in lightroom

No editing in EOS Utility. The pictures you take are put in a folder and DPP will automatically startup with that folder open.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWoods Bill View Post
    Will it allow some basic manipulation, just to get an idea of how the image looks?
    Obviuosly actual editing would occur in lightroom
    I believe you can use it as sort of an extended live-view. Manipulation-wise you could only use the camera-profiles and such I think. But I'm not sure. I haven't used it in a long time.
    Now that you're mentioning Lightroom. You can also use tethered shooting in Lightroom itself. I just tried it and you seem to be needing the live-view on camera to focus. You can use Lightroom to apply the settings and your pre-sets. So if you have the preset you want, you can easily use Lightroom. I don't think Lightroom can function as an external live-view however.
    Last edited by Sheiky; 02-17-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Sounds like light room may suite my needs. More looking for immediate feedback on image quality, etc.

Good luck and if you run into any problems, just ask.

I realize that there is one important thing worth mentioning that hasn't been. When you are tethered the image you see on screen is the LiveView feed. This is a video stream and does not entirely match the quality of the still shots you'll capture. If you use the exposure simulation setting for liveview it will give you a very good idea of what the final image will look like.

You are correct. However this only affects Canon EOS Utility, not Lightroom. In Lightroom you cannot see a live image, you only get a result.