Thread: 60D and lens choice advice

60D and lens choice advice

Hi guys,

Looking for some input on which lens (es) to purchase together with a 60D.
    I would like to take pics from landscapes, wildlife, people surfing and at night (from the sky and similar).

Two things that need to be considered;

- I live next to the beach, hence am worried about the sea air (salt, moisture etc);
    - Cameras and lenses are 100% more expensive down here than in the USA or Europe.

I have the chance to buy some equipment which a friend is going to bring from the USA which is a great opportunity

The obvious would be to use the kit lenses for a while and then upgrade according to my needs, however, because of the price issue I would like to avoid the kit lenses and get something better from the beginning. Because of the weather conditions I was looking into some L lenses, however I am not sure if the fact that they are `weatherproof`should be the reason to rule out other lenses.

I ve thought of the following after researching many lenses;

1-EF s 15-85 f3.5-5.6 and later on acquire a 70-200 or 70-300 f lens

2- EF 24-104 f4L, however I will be short for landscape shots, hence I could also add the sigma 8-16 or canon EF-S 10-22. Later on get the 70-200 or 300 lens.

Well, basically, i don want to spend 2k or more and then end up with a few lenses which at the end of the day aren t the best options for me.

I am open to suggestions...

Hi Helio,
    you shouldn't worry too much about the sea air. A lot of people life close to the beach, and they don't all own L lenses only. I grew up next to the sea myself, with a lot of nasty wind and a lot salt in the air. Neither my dad's old film SLR, nor his Rollei 35, nor any POS had problems with the salt. Plants and cars did.

As to you lens choices, there are people with more experience around here, I am sure they will share their thoughts.
    What I heard and read is that the 15-85 is a really nice walkaround lens, especially outdoors. It is wider than the kit lens, better IQ, and you won't always have to change to a zoom with the additional 30mm on the long end.
    One more thing: I am also thinking about buying a 70-200 or 70-300 in the future. But I was lucky enough to get the 55-250 for only $145 as a golden deal or whatever they call it on Amazon, and it was totally worth it. Even if I buy a better tele in a year or so, that money already gave me so much fun. An entry-level lens takes much better pictures than a superior lens that you don't have.
    So if "later" means for you "in a year or two" and not "in 6 month", and you find a good deal on one of the simpler, cheaper lenses, don't be afraid to buy one of them. At least you will have something in the desired range. You might also want to consider previously owned lenses.

Good luck hunting your gear,
    Arnt
    Last edited by ahab1372; 02-21-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typos

If you will be focusing more on landscapes I'd lean towards the 15-85, If you will be trying to get more people in action and surfing etc I'd lean towards the 24-105 as your main lens.
    My local camera shop offers a D60 in a kit with the 15-85 or the 17-85 or 18-135. So if your friend finds a similar place to purchase in the area they will be in it may make the choice easy.

I have a t2i (550d) and I was trying to make similar choice. I upgraded the kit lens to the 24-105L as I was able to get a great deal on it, to compliment it, I intend to purchase the 10-22 in the summer. I have the luxury of renting the zooms locally, so for now while I learn and find just what I prefer to take pictures of I'll continue to rent them as needed.

What I will probably end up with is EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS and EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS all have 77mm threads

With dream budget-- maybe step it up to a 7D --EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II and a 2x EF Extender III