Thread: Help with image "buzz" on chrome

Help with image "buzz" on chrome

I'm consistently getting this blue and orange image buzz on the edges of metal.

Shot at f6.3 ISO 125 1/200 with AB 600 at 1/32 directly above through diffused beauty dish.

Is this just from general overexposure or some other aberration? When I down stop exposure in RAW LRoom the blue is still there. I guess if there's any in camera settings help and LightRoom advice that'd be great! Thanks in advance from a newbie.

1:1 crop

I can only see it on my phone right now, but the blue stuff is coming from the high contrast area. Some lens do that more than others, but usually can be fixed by the Lens Correction software in lightroom or PS. Which lens did you use?
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Definitely fringing, or CA from lens. Lens correction feature in post usually corrects that when used. Most software also allows further modifications to the correction values if needed.

I'm not familiar with Lightroom controls, but can you desaturate certain colors like you can in Photoshop? If so, just desaturate the fringe colors as the rest of the image appears to be chrome and black. Desaturating the fringe should only improve the image.

That said, you lens shouldn't be creating that much CA while stopped down.
    Mark - Flickr

Real poopy lenses can have CA at any aperture especially with high contrast edges. I fought a cheap Tamron for a long time until my budget increased.
    You can globally adjust hue and saturation in LR, but in this case, I would use their adjustment brush, change the color to more of a yellow to offset the blue, and paint in where needed. Should work if the lens calibration tab doesn't help.
    Forgot about the saturation slider in the adjustment panel too.
    Last edited by andnowimbroke; 02-25-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Wow, thanks for the fast [and accurate] response! Pretty much all of the above is true.

I have LR 2.1 so I have very little range of control on fringing, basically fringe correction on/off. I applied it and it helped. LR 3.0 seems to have more range of control.

It is also due to a sub-par lens. I went all in on two lenses - 85 1.2 and 70-200 L II usm - but in wider angle, all purpose, I went with dirt cheap ebay EF 28-70 3.5-4.5 II. For dirt cheap it was highly recommended and this seems like a clean version but could be the c. aberration source. I'll post the finished image now that I know how to approach it. Thanks for the great feedback!
    Last edited by greytwin; 02-26-2012 at 09:15 PM.

LR 2 lacked a little control that the newer versions have. You might consider downloading LR4 beta before it ends and see if you can work some magic with it. Of course then you'll prolly start lusting after it as I did when I played with the demos.