Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which L series.

They're both great lenses. Personally, I use the 50mm focal length more often because of my style.

I own both and I use the 50 way more. For me it comes down to more usable focal length. It is usually easier to get closer than farther, usually. With the MFDs of each lens it it possible to achieve similar cropping as the 50 will allow you to get much closer to your subject. I think the 85 is a better lens but just not as practical.

Hi Paul,

I'd highly recommend the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 as an alternative to both of those lenses. I've had two copies now (dropped the first and broke it) and both have been superb. It does has some colour fringing wide open against high contrast subjects however I'm not sure how it compares to the Canon 85mm f/1.2L in this respect (whether it's similar wide open). It's a fraction of the cost of the Canon with very quick and accurate autofocus and excellent sharpness/IQ. I used it for probably 70% of my photos (on a 5D2) on a recent holiday.

On a full frame body I really like the 85mm focal length, you get slight image compression that can be flattering for portraits. 50mm on full frame doesn't excite me too much for some reason but that's just me.

If I were purely choosing between the two Canons I'd prefer the 85mm. However if you were open to other manufacturers then I would definitely recommend the Sigma 85mm.

Cheers,

Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I second the Sigma 85mm, I love this lens and prefer it much more over a 50mm on my 7d.

Looking at the ISO12233 crops the Sigma 85mm appears sharper to me than the Canon 85mm wide open (both at f/1.4 and f/1.2).

The Canon has similar, if not worse colour fringing at f/1.4 compared to the Sigma also. At around f/2.0 - f/2.8 the Canon appears to out resolve the Sigma and have better colour fringing performance.

In saying that, often the purpose of a super wide aperture prime is to produce good results wide open. In which case I would say that the Sigma out performs the Canon hands down.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Thanks guys, I have read a lot of poor reviews with quality over the sigma, hence the reason going down the canon line.

In real life terms the 50mm and 85mm are the same lens but have varied reviews pros and cons.

Im stuck as I want something to help in low light so I can shoot without flash.

Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by peterborough_photography View Post
    Im stuck as I want something to help in low light so I can shoot without flash.
    You also need to consider DoF - that ability to shoot in low light comes at the expense of very thin DoF, especially with close subjects. Personally, for low light situational shooting (indoors, outdoors at night), I use the 35mm f/1.4L.

Quote Originally Posted by peterborough_photography View Post
    Thanks guys, I have read a lot of poor reviews with quality over the sigma, hence the reason going down the canon line.
    I am not trying to change your thought process here, but as I was reading down this thread, I remembered this review and thought others may be interested:

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2...85mm-f1-2l-ii/