Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which L series.

Question Which L series.

Im a wedding photographer and Im looking at adding a new prime.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM or

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Lens

I currently shoot with a 70-200 L series, canon ef 24-70 F2.8L and a canon 17-55 2.8 is on a crop body and a canon 5dmkii
    You can see my stuff at professional wedding photographer

The 50 gives you a wider low light in the ff and a very shallow dof portrait on the crop?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

If its any help at all. The 85 1.2 is likely the most sought after portrait lens in the canon lineup. Probably the most coveted as well. I have the 85 1.8 and have used it on crop and full frame and really see the versatility in that focal length. The 50 is normal and can be used I think in a more photojournalistic style.

In my honest opinion you are going to be stoked no matter which one you go with.

Good luck in making a tough choice there.

Dave.

P.S. There is always the idea of just buying both. Go big or go home right?

Does it have to be Canon? Lots of people have been talking up some of the Sigmas even though you lose a stop of light. The other thing to do is possibly go with a manual focus lens from Zeiss. Just throwing some extra thoughts out there.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Both are excellent, of course. Since you have zooms that cover both focal lengths, check past EXIF or set a zoom to each focal length for a while, and see where the thin DoF would be more useful.

Each lens has one 'issue'. The 50L exhibits focus shift (inherent to the lens design, you'll get backfocus at apertures between f/1.4 and ~f/4 with close subjects). The 85L autofocuses quite slowly (and manual focus is no faster because MF works by driving the AF motor).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    ...and manual focus is no faster because MF works by driving the AF motor).
    I have never heard that - how does that work? Do you mean like the 50 f/1.8 where you have the resistance of the motor (it never de-couples)? I always wondered if that effects the life of the motor or any gearing that may exist... it just doesn't feel right.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

@Conropl I don't know how the 50/1.8 focuses but the 85/1.2 is basically fly-by-wire. Turning the focus ring doesn't actually touch the optics. It drives a switch which drives the AF motor. There's a bit of lag but it tracks reasonably well. However, the camera body must be on to focus the lens.

ChadS - Thanks... I did not know they powered the focus drive even in manual. Seems like that would take a little getting use to. Thanks for the information, now it makes sense.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    ChadS - Thanks... I did not know they powered the focus drive even in manual. Seems like that would take a little getting use to. Thanks for the information, now it makes sense.
    Indeed, it does. For me, MF is fine, the issue is remembering to retract the front element (which extends with focusing) before unmounting the lens.

I recommend the 35mm L over the 50mm. Pick up the 85mm L later unless you have a ton of cash to blow.