Thread: Sigmonster

Sigmonster

Anyone used a 300-800 sigmonster. Thinking of selling my 500F4 and buying one.

Mick

Will begin by saying I've never used one. It did make it onto my short list of potential lenses that I was considering as an alternative before making the decision to go down the path of the Canon super-teles the first of which is due in next week.

In the end, the factors that I chose from were zoom vs prime, lens weight(s), IQ, aperture, and of course dollars both at purchase and possibly resale down the road.
    The Sigma offers the convenience of zooming for subject framing in a package that weighs about as much as the new 300 and 500 together without the need for messing about with TC's. Users suggest the lens is best suited for use in blinds, or other fixed locations as it gets a little heavy to be carrying, setting up, and tearing down.
    The Sigma is capable of producing most excellent results without having IS but the users do acknowledge there is a learning curve in technique to deal with mirror slap and other vibration sources in order to reach that level.
    The Sigma has quite reasonable IQ, though in comparison shots it seems slightly less sharp, has a slight colour cast and slightly less contrast than the earlier Canon offerings.
    Using a 100-400 on the long end I have found myself aperture limited at f5.6 in the past, and have blurred subjects in what otherwise would have been spectacular wildlife shots. The grainy option of further hiking ISO is lacking in appeal to me as well.
    In terms of purchase price, the Sigma has a major advantage over a set of Canon teles. In the long term if the lenses are sold, the Canon teles hold their value, sometimes increasing over the years as others have attested to. Third party lenses that I have seen selling used don't seem to hold their value as well.

My expected usage of the longer glass favours the primes, especially as I don't expect to be lugging more than 1 around on my back when I go for hikes and other long explores.

At the end of the day, you'll have to decide whether the Sigma is for you or not. having recently gone through the decision process myself, I can only offer my take on the different feature and cost tradeoffs as they applied in my circumstances. Hopefully something will be of use to you.

So, anybody been using this monster with never models?

Managed to run into a sell notice of this monster and have to say the price + accessories the seller is offering for a manageable price got my interest =)

I have seen many very nice images on the web made with this lens.

There was a guy in Florida who did photo tours for birds who used one on a Nikon ..... don't know if he is still using it but his name is James Shadle.

Yeah, looked thru flickr and saw some quite nice pictures. What is tempting on these particular one is, that would get proper tripod with the head on same price.....

At 13 lbs...... sigmonster is a good description
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911