Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Not bad!

Wasn't aware that the Flex system is capable of supporting 5 flash groups which is the big upgrade item for me. Built in RT is a very worthwhile feature for moving forward, just want an RT unit that will allow using existing flash units in 5 channel system as it should cost less than replacing all my flash units. Would seem i have more digging to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Wasn't aware that the Flex system is capable of supporting 5 flash groups which is the big upgrade item for me
    It doesn't. It has 3 just like the old Canon tech. It would be SUPER cool if Canon came out with an accessory like a FlexTT5 that could sit on older 580EXs and 430EXs, etc and allow them to be RF triggered by either the 600EX-RT or the ST-E3-RT. I feel like they would haven't mentioned it in the press release though. Who knows, time will tell. For people just getting into the game though this is great as I am sure that future units will be backwards compatible. I see this as a rather large leap forward in Canon flash.

Sounds great. The only thing I used to envy about Nikons were their flashes. No longer! Now all Canon should focus on is improving the sync speeds of their flashes.

It really is the 5 flash groups that have caught my attention. On a regular basis I have wanted 4 to allow key, fill, hair, and background lights to all have separate control. Don't think it should be too difficult to have 5 group RTs work with my existing flashes. Of course I have been wrong before...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    now that they're including the old optical trigger in every new body (that has an inbuilt-flash at least), there's no need for the ST-E2 anymore, so they needed to come up with a new gadget that we have to buy instead. Radio-trigger it is.
    Well...on every body with a popup flash, that is. No optical trigger on the 5DIII or 1D X - nor a built-in RF trigger, either, which would have certainly been possible.

Regardless, Amazon has the 600EX-RT in stock now, and I've just ordered mine. I'll see how nicely it plays with the PocketWizard FlexTT5, although my main use for the 600EX, at least initially, will probably be on-camera or via OC-E3 on a flash bracket.

Just picked one up. Looks like a flash, flash.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'll see how nicely it plays with the PocketWizard FlexTT5.
    Hopefully better than they play with the 5D Mark III :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    Hopefully better than they play with the 5D Mark III :-(
    What's the problem there, Mark?

What's the problem there, Mark?
    They don't work :-) Well, they don't work using ControlTL channels. They will work using the standard channels (no TTL & no manual power control).

Regardless, Amazon has the 600EX-RT in stock now, and I've just ordered mine. I'll see how nicely it plays with the PocketWizard FlexTT5, although my main use for the 600EX, at least initially, will probably be on-camera or via OC-E3 on a flash bracket.
    Receive that 600EX-RT yet?