Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    For anyone interested, Sto-Fen is coming out with an Omni-Bounce diffuser for the 600EX-RT. Adorama has them up for preorder.
    Not sure you have tried it John, but since I bought the Gary Fong Lightdiffuser I haven't used the Sto-Fen's

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rted_Dome.html

I wouldn't know if it would fit the 600ex or not, but if the 600 has the same head size as the 580 it should.

On Friday I was the proud owner of a 5D II and two new 600 EX RT units.

I traded my 3 580 EX II for 2 600 EX RT units because I wanted

#1 reliable and easy to use radio triggers.
    I know there are those of you who use Pocket Wizards, Radio Poppers, and others.
    And I did try radio poppers and elinchrom units but was not satisfied with the amount of work (I may be electronically challanged) I had to put in to understand and trouble shoot the process of setting them up.
    I never really figured how to use the Radio Popper Jrx unit.
    So I believe I made the right decision.
    At a wedding I need less to worry about not more. But that may be my age showing.

The second reason I want to switch was because I did not want to continue to use ratios A:B and A:B C.
    I was looking forward to GROUPS (5 groups) where I could set some to ETTL and some to Manual (ie background or hair lights)
    I worked on this for days, I read and reread the manual.

Then I understood what this meant:
    "Cameras released after 2012, (which includes probably 95% of all canons, also includes the 5D MarkII) are not compatable with groups"
    Only two cameras released after 2012 (5D Mark III and the EOS - 1DX Mark III)

Surely I was wrong, certainly all major features were available on the flagship 5D Mark II.

So I went to a Camera Event this weekend where there were live Canon Reps.
    They were very very very helpful but agreed unless there is some type of 'fix' all canon users except those with the new 5D Mark III or the EOS - 1DX Mark III , will not be able to use that function.

Official Release they sent me this am:

NEW – GROUP mode – "Gr" appears as flash mode on Master Unit
    This is the headline feature of the new Canon radio-based Wireless E-TTL system. It requires an EOS 5D Mark III or EOS-1D X (as of March 2012) camera body to perform; for technical reasons, it's unfortunately not possible with previous EOS SLRs.

FULL RELEASE AT

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou...o_basics.shtml

So Caveat Emptor: READ THIS RELEASE.

All said the RT feature was enough for me to switch.
    But also know I just took the advice of the speedlight guru Syl Arena and updated my 5DII to 5D III as of this AM.

http://pixsylated.com/blog/canon-600...t-impressions/

Luckily there is still a strong market out there for the 5DII and I think I got top dollar.
    I will order my 5D Mark III soon.

All in all I think I will be very happy with the 600 EX RT system and the 5D Mark III for years to come.

All I need now is a Canon ST-E3-RT.

I wouldn't mind going all Canon RT flashes, except that there's currently no way to trigger a monolight, whereas the PocketWizard system allows me to use a blended set of both types of lights.

If Canon comes out with a receiver for their RT system that allows triggering of monolights (via PC sync, presumably), I'd likely go that route. I expect such a receiver (hotshoe, at least, not sure about the sync port) is either in development or ready for production. However, I don't expect we'll see it soon. Most likely (IMO), after a while with only the 600EX-RT and ST-E3 on the market, I expect the roadmap will be a release of a 430EX II replacement with radio slave capability (440EX-RT?), then after that's on the market for a while, a receiver - i.e., after they've sold many 600 and 440 units and sales slow, they'll release the receiver that makes current non-RT flashes compatible with the RT system.

Not sure if it will work for your monolights or not, but there is an output that can be used for triggering prior to 2012 cameras remotely. In the manual it looked like an 1/8" stereo jack on the cable end plugging into the flash. Don't know the details on this feature but it might be worth looking into.

This is separate from the PC port, which I assume is just an input for triggering. So many details to look into with these new flashes before deciding whether to plunge in or wait for 580 adaptors to be available.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Not sure if it will work for your monolights or not, but there is an output that can be used for triggering prior to 2012 cameras remotely. In the manual it looked like an 1/8" stereo jack on the cable end plugging into the flash. Don't know the details on this feature but it might be worth looking into.

This is separate from the PC port, which I assume is just an input for triggering. So many details to look into with these new flashes before deciding whether to plunge in or wait for 580 adaptors to be available.
    Yes, I noticed the port for the SR-N3 cable. I assume it would only send a signal if the radio system were configured to remotely release a shutter or in linked shot mode. Still - worth a try to see if it sends a signal when the flash fires.

How about trying the optical slave on the Einstein?

Optical trigger

Has anyone tried an optical slave for a monolight?

such as

Wein 940-001 Peanut Universal Micro Slave ?

If so what is your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Yes, I noticed the port for the SR-N3 cable. I assume it would only send a signal if the radio system were configured to remotely release a shutter or in linked shot mode. Still - worth a try to see if it sends a signal when the flash fires.
    I assume that it simply closes relay contacts if it is used for remote firing of a camera as that is what they need. Is it possible that this is what is needed for the other RF triggers that you currently have to allow combining the new with the old? Yes, that would be in linked shot mode according to the manual. Am kind of curious as to whether the contacts in the flash close in all modes or just when in linked shot mode. Anyone who already has a 600 flash willing to check it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    How about trying the optical slave on the Einstein?
    I thought about that...but really, I want to wait for a more elegant solution. I really like being able to dial in the power levels from the AC-3 on the camera.