Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Not bad!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Not bad!

Speedlite 600EX-RT Key Features

• New wireless multiple flash system using radio wave communication
    • Zoom flash head covers wide range of 20-200mm; Max. Guide No. 197 ft./60m at ISO 100
    • Redesigned contact construction, improved flash head durability, and exceptional dust and weather resistance
    • 18 Custom and 3 Personal Functions for creative flexibility
    Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT Key Features

• Newly designed wireless system uses 2-way radio wave communication for enhanced communication among master and slave units
    • Achieves a transmission distance of up to 98.4 ft. / 30m, all at a 360 degree angle
    • Up to 5 groups, or 15 individual flashes can be controlled via 1 transmitter
    • Supports E-TTL II flash, manual flash, stroboscopic and external flash metering

Maybe this explains why Pocket Wizards new trigger is so cheap.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I guessed this ages ago, now that they're including the old optical trigger in every new body (that has an inbuilt-flash at least), there's no need for the ST-E2 anymore, so they needed to come up with a new gadget that we have to buy instead. Radio-trigger it is.

*waits for 580EXs to get cheaper*
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    now that they're including the old optical trigger in every new body (that has an inbuilt-flash at least), there's no need for the ST-E2 anymore, so they needed to come up with a new gadget that we have to buy instead. Radio-trigger it is.
    Well...on every body with a popup flash, that is. No optical trigger on the 5DIII or 1D X - nor a built-in RF trigger, either, which would have certainly been possible.

Regardless, Amazon has the 600EX-RT in stock now, and I've just ordered mine. I'll see how nicely it plays with the PocketWizard FlexTT5, although my main use for the 600EX, at least initially, will probably be on-camera or via OC-E3 on a flash bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Regardless, Amazon has the 600EX-RT in stock now, and I've just ordered mine. I'll see how nicely it plays with the PocketWizard FlexTT5, although my main use for the 600EX, at least initially, will probably be on-camera or via OC-E3 on a flash bracket.
    Receive that 600EX-RT yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    Receive that 600EX-RT yet?
    Almost. UPS has delivered it to my work location, so it's down at the loading dock on a cart somewhere. Should be in my hands in a couple of hours, unless I get too impatient and go get it. But...since the only camera I have with me is a PowerShot S100, I'm not in a huge rush.

That was my thought as well.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Really like the idea of 5 flash groups. Once I add backdrop and hairlight things get crowded on three groups.

I understand that these can NOT be mixed with 580EXIIs they can not mix RT and IR
    Is that your understanding.
    So I will need to get all new flashes?

I was pretty sure of retrofit parts coming from Canon for the older flash units to play nice with the newer technology.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    I was pretty sure of retrofit parts coming from Canon for the older flash units to play nice with the newer technology.
    I have no doubt of that, but I THINK the question was whether the radio trigger and preflash triggering could be used simultaneously .. and I have no idea.