Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 5D Mark III vs. EOS 1D X - Differences?

I've hit the same dilemma as you, John, after Canon have thrown the curveball of making the 5D III significantly better than I was anticipating. Naturally I have both on pre-order for now, and have at least a month (probably a bit longer ) to decide which to cancel. To be honest, either camera will meet my needs. It's a body that will likely stay with you/me for 3 - 4 years, which is currently leaning me toward the 1D X at the moment.

Something that is a minor annoyance but worth putting into the table... no compatibility with the inexpensive infrared remote for the 1D X. Something I use more than occasionally for family shots and also macro work.
    Last edited by w349; 03-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by w349 View Post
    Something that is a minor annoyance but worth putting into the table... no compatibility with the inexpensive infrared remote for the 1D X. Something I use more than occasionally for family shots and also macro work.
    It is indeed an annoyance, but not a new one - the 1-series bodies don't have the capability to be triggered by an IR remote. I suppose Canon figures if you can shell out for the 1-series, you can shell out for the LC-5 remote trigger. The money is only one issue there...the other is that the remote end of the LC-5 is quite large, too big to be tucked out of sight in a closed hand during the image capture.

Fortunately, I've got a solution that is less costly and significantly smaller on the remote side - the $100 PocketWizard CM-N3-ACC cable attached to a FlexTT5 will trigger the 1D X from a handheld MiniTT1.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 03-20-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Simple. I primarily shoot weddings so I would rather have the 5DIII for the higher resolution and lower cost. If I were a sports photographer and needed the speed or a war correspondent in needed of bomb proof durability, I'd get the 1DX.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I do have the budget to cover the 1D X, so that's not really a limiting factor.

Thoughts and advice from the forum?
    In that case the 1DX wins in my book
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Dog View Post
    ....or a war correspondent in needed of bomb proof durability, I'd get the 1DX.
    That is easy. John/Neuro is the father of two young girls....1DX it is!

Indeed. Why is running under the tripod legs such a fun game for toddlers?!?

LOL, I guess because it is a very convenient height for them. Kids just love to be under things, no matter what. When our daughter was younger, she was constantly under the dining table, chairs etc. A tripod would have been very tempting, too.
    +1 for the 1Dx, or a heavier tripod

When my son was two I had a Bogen I could sit on and it would hold me so I thought it ok for him to use for his teepee but somehow he broke it
    He's 22 now so I fagave him.
    Mark

It is indeed an annoyance, but not a new one - the 1-series bodies don't have the capability to be triggered by an IR remote. I suppose Canon figures if you can shell out for the 1-series, you can shell out for the LC-1 remote trigger. The money is only one issue there...the other is that the remote end of the LC-5 is quite large, too big to be tucked out of sight in a closed hand during the image capture.
    You did say you were getting the 600EX if you were getting the 1DX, i thought i read that you can trigger the camera shutter using the radio link from a distance (but then, i think you'd need another 600EX or the st-e3-rt, both of which are a bit harder to conceal in your hand, but if it's radio you can trigger it from behind your back and don't have to use the '2-second-hide' like with rc-6)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    You did say you were getting the 600EX if you were getting the 1DX, i thought i read that you can trigger the camera shutter using the radio link from a distance (but then, i think you'd need another 600EX or the st-e3-rt, both of which are a bit harder to conceal in your hand, but if it's radio you can trigger it from behind your back and don't have to use the '2-second-hide' like with rc-6)
    Yep, getting the 600EX. I was considering the 580EX II, but in fact, it's not yet clear if the AF assist of the 580 is adequate for the 1D X or 5DIII. I held off getting a 580 due to the likelihood of a new flagship flash. I'm not really excited about the RF capability, personally. Using the PW system allows nice integration with my monolight.

I think you're right that remote triggering the shutter with the 600EX will require another 600EX or the ST-E3 on the camera. I have no interest in the ST-E3, first because I use PWs, second because it lacks an AF assist (which was the only reason I had any interest in the ST-E2, as the smallest attachment for AF assist).