Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 5D Mark III vs. EOS 1D X - Differences?

I will be waiting for the new bodies to be properly reviewed and tested before spending any of my money. The big item for me is the promise of improved AF. I'll wait for factual data and test reports. Everything sounds quite promising indeed, but I am not seeing test results as of yet.

Reducing the noise levels to allow increased low light capability from using even higher ISO is also a very good thing and is something I would gladly trade for increased MP. The ability to capture images previously unobtainable is worthwhile to me. The 18MP of the 7D are more than enough to allow rather large high quality prints to be made. If I wanted to produce larger files for even larger prints I would first question what I wanted them for, and if needed I would go buy a MF or LF system if that was required. The question to me is whether the bulk of the improvement we are seeing in JPEGs is from the sensor, which would carry over to the RAW files, or the firmware which may or may not process noise out of a RAW image. Again, I'll wait for factual data, sample pictures and test reports. The interplay of the hardware and software in creating JPEGs don't leave signs behind telling us how much either component improved, just the overall JPEG processing system.

Given that the new RT flash is capable of driving 5 channels, up from 3, I am also thinking that is another welcome perk to the 1Dx and 5Diii for portrait work.

Patiently waiting for the manuals to be made available for download to learn more about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yeah, if we were talking about the 5DIII, but you compared the 1D IV to the 5DII. So, it's not a fair comparison.

So, Rick, you gonna throw your 1D IV over for the 5DIII? It may have the AF, but 6 fps? Come on, Rick, you know the 1D IV will beat that, hands down.

Just admit it.....you want the 5DIII just because...Because you're a gear head just like neuroanatomist!
    Sure I was comparing the 5D II, because that is what is getting upgraded. The 5D III is supposedly getting the AF system of the 1D X, and the 1D X is supposed to be superior to the 1D IV. Going from the 5D II AF to the 1D IV AF is a noticeable jump in performance, and the 5D III is supposed to be getting a AF system even better than the 1D IV's?

I seriously doubt the 5D III AF system will be better than the 1D IV, even though Canon is claiming it is getting the 1D X's system. I choose to be skeptical on this.

The reason I bought the 1D IV was for wildlife, so far the 1D X doesn't seem like it will be a replacement for the 1D IV (for wildlife any way). So really there is no way I would be abandoning the 1D IV for a 5D III. Like you said, if I am a "gear head" the 1D X would be the next logical replacement for the 1D IV. If it weren't for the fact that the 1D X is FF, and will not AF at F8 it would be pre-ordered now. Maybe the 7D II will be a replacement to the 1D IV? who knows.

I can't admit I want a 5D III yet, because I am not sure I do. Let me think about it a few weeks, I did set the email notice at B&H so I would know when they are in stock.

The 1D IV and the 5D III would be a dream combo to my way of thinking, pity my bank balance does not stretch that far.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Steve, why stop there? 1DX + 5DIII. Then they're both FF.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    If it weren't for the fact that the 1D X is FF, and will not AF at F8 it would be pre-ordered now.
    Rick, thanks for reminding me of this.

This is something that forums all over the globe have been clamoring for. For years, Canon owners have been saying, "give us a 1D series that won't auto focus at f/8. And, we're willing to pay 7 grand for it."

Finally, after years of badgering, Canon pulled through, and gave us exactly what we've wanted.

What a hoot!

Even Bryan gave a not-so-subtle indication of his disappointment when he said, back in October, "There are still some Canon EOS 1D Mark IV bodies available."

I get the impression that whoever their customer base is, it isn't the group on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I get the impression that whoever their customer base is, it isn't the group on this forum.
    I guess wildlife photographers were on the bottom of Canon's list when deciding what to design in to the new 1D X.

With wildlife being so big, I doubt they would forget. I'd assume a 1-series type camera in a 1.6 crop format and f/8 focus could be a possibility then.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    With wildlife being so big, I doubt they would forget. I'd assume a 1-series type camera in a 1.6 crop format and f/8 focus could be a possibility then.
    we can remain optimistic

And the 1.6 crop means a smaller mirror and thus even faster FPS for this mythical 7DmkII wildlife body? Canon is reading this, right? And nodding?

Of course they are reading what I typed. I'm doing it on their work computer Now for an affordable ef-s version of the 500mm F4.....
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.