Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 104

Thread: EOS 5D Mark III vs. EOS 1D X - Differences?

  1. #81
    Senior Member Mark Elberson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Medford, NJ
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    ....in AI mode the 1D IV was as accurate as if it were set in one shot mode
    I hope this holds true with the 5D III. This would be helpful when trying to capture children, at wide apertures, who tend to move around and then stop and move around, etc, etc.

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,903
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I did notice on the Accessories page for the 1D X on the Canon USA site, the only wireless remote listed is the LC-5 (the equivalent page for the 5DIII also lists the RC-6).
    Based on this I think your hopes will be dashed.

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    I hope this holds true with the 5D III. This would be helpful when trying to capture children, at wide apertures, who tend to move around and then stop and move around, etc, etc.
    Mark, I think there is only one way it wouldn't hold true. That is if Canon's marketing is pulling our legs about the AF system being the same as the one in the 1D X.

    Canon wouldn't lie would they?

  4. #84
    Senior Member Mark Elberson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Medford, NJ
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Mark, I think there is only one way it wouldn't hold true. That is if Canon's marketing is pulling our legs about the AF system being the same as the one in the 1D X.

    Canon wouldn't lie would they?
    Let's hope not because in that short time after the D800 was announced and before the 5D III was announced I was wondering how hard it would be to sell all of my Canon glass!!! Luckily for me, the 5D III (on paper) is everything I wanted in a body. I think it's only right that it should share the same auto focus (almost) as the 1DX as the D700 shares the same auto focus as the D3. I'm not sure if the D800 and D4 share the same auto focus as well but I do know that the D800 CAN auto focus at f/8...

  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I did notice on the Accessories page for the 1D X on the Canon USA site, the only wireless remote listed is the LC-5 (the equivalent page for the 5DIII also lists the RC-6).
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Based on this I think your hopes will be dashed.
    Alas, I concur. Too bad, I've used my RC-6 controller several times with great success to jump into pictures with my family, it's so small it takes up no room.
    Last edited by bigblue1ca; 03-20-2012 at 08:10 PM.

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    Let's hope not because in that short time after the D800 was announced and before the 5D III was announced I was wondering how hard it would be to sell all of my Canon glass!!! Luckily for me, the 5D III (on paper) is everything I wanted in a body.
    I went through the same thing. I was seriously considering selling my Canon glass to get a D800. I would have waited for test reports on the 1DX and the D800 to see if I should switch (not comparable, I admit, but if the 1DX was not sufficiently superior to the D800, I would have refused to shell out the cash for one on principle).

    The apparent adequacy of the 5DIII AF makes that question irrelevant.

    If it turns out that the 5DIII AF is all marketing hype (which I seriously doubt), I guess I'll have to sell mine (together with about a ton of Canon glass) at a loss.

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    100
    I thought I'd revive this semi-retired thread by saying I've decided after having the 1D X on pre-order since November, I have changed my mind. I will cancel the 1D X pre-order and place one for a 5D III. The main things that attracted me to the 1D X were its amazing build quality and high shutter life cycle. These convinced me that it was a machine built to last...

    However... with the UK prices standing currently at 3000 vs 5200 (5D3 vs. 1D X), I could effectively destroy a 5D III over a few years and buy a brand new one for the same cost as a single 1D X. And there are a lot of things that attract me to the 5D III in itself - the mode-select dial to quickly change to custom functions, the compatibility with the inexpensive RC remotes, in-camera HDR mode (... kidding), and a form factor that my girlfriend can use without complaining (ha). The 8 fps of the 7D is enough for the sports shooting that I currently do (kids don't tend to move THAT quickly).

    I'll admit I kind of want someone to convince me to ignore the voice of reason and get the 1D X, even though the 5D III is probably better suited to me. But I'm afraid I've given in to the voice of reason that's been nagging at me since the 5D III was released. It's an amazing camera and I know I'll love it.

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,273
    Well, w349, I may not be the voice you're looking for, because it seems to me that your reasons for changing your mind are good ones: it isn't worth getting the 1DX just because it will last a long time. Under normal use, the 5DIII will be obsolete long before it starts to fall apart (my guess is that most 5D originals are still in great shape). If the shutter gives out, it can be replaced.

    You can get the 5DIII now. I think you'll love it. And if, when the 1DX comes out, you decide you absolutely have to have it instead, you can probably sell your 5DIII and not take too big a loss.

  9. #89
    Senior Member neuroanatomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,716
    I'll have a go. Among other things (full list in Byran's 5DIII review), in addition to better build and faster frame rate, the 1D X offers:

    AF point-linked spot metering
    better metering
    face tracking with phase AF
    interchangeable focus screens
    better sensor self-cleaning system

    Those are important features, to me at least. I also prefer the integrated grip.

    I admit, the 5DIII is tempting...but that's mostly because it's actually available while the 1D X isn't.

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'll have a go. Among other things (full list in Byran's 5DIII review), in addition to better build and faster frame rate, the 1D X offers:

    • AF point-linked spot metering
    • better metering
    • face tracking with phase AF
    • interchangeable focus screens
    • better sensor self-cleaning system

    Those are important features, to me at least. I also prefer the integrated grip.

    I admit, the 5DIII is tempting...but that's mostly because it's actually available while the 1D X isn't.
    I was going to pony up for the 1Dx (at some point), for the AF point-linked spot metering, interchangeable focus screens, better sensor self-cleaning system, but two important factors made switch to the 5DIII. Availability and saving $3,300. I think I also succumbed to MPs. I had a hard time going backwards (from the 5DmkII). Even though I was completely happy with the pixel count on my 1DsII and know 18 is ideal for most instances I just fell to pixel pressure.

    I also rationalized the other differences. My 5DII's sensor rarely get dirty and usually a squeeze of a rocket blower does the trick. Plus I think I read the coating is slightly more dust resistant on the 5DIII. So I don't think I'll miss the 1Dx for this.

    The 5DIII does a really good job metering so I think I'm good there. But I think I'll miss spot metering with perimeter points a little. The two things I'll actually miss are the interchangeable focus screens and build quality/integrated grip.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •