Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: EOS 5D Mark III vs. EOS 1D X - Differences?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'll have a go. Among other things (full list in Byran's 5DIII review), in addition to better build and faster frame rate, the 1D X offers:

• AF point-linked spot metering
    • better metering
    • face tracking with phase AF
    • interchangeable focus screens
    • better sensor self-cleaning system

Those are important features, to me at least. I also prefer the integrated grip.

I admit, the 5DIII is tempting...but that's mostly because it's actually available while the 1D X isn't.
    Those are nice feature's and make the 1D X a very promising camera. Provided of course a 5D IV isn't released before the 1D X is.

I'll have a go. Among other things (full list in Byran's 5DIII review), in addition to better build and faster frame rate, the 1D X offers:

AF point-linked spot metering
    better metering
    face tracking with phase AF
    • interchangeable focus screens
    better sensor self-cleaning system

Those are important features, to me at least. I also prefer the integrated grip.

I admit, the 5DIII is tempting...but that's mostly because it's actually available while the 1D X isn't.
    I appreciate the effort and I've underlined the things that I would really like in a body, but they're just not important enough to me to justify the price gap. Currently I've still got both on pre-order, and I've been told that there are 72 people in the queue ahead of me for the 5D III, so availability isn't a factor - I likely wouldn't receive either for some time. I'll sleep on it for a week or so before cancelling. The 1D X really does appeal to my inner gearhead, but ... not enough. Incidentally I prefer the smaller body vs. the gripped, at least with my 7D. It's easier to fit in smaller bags for one. I may eat these words in a year's time, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
    Plus I think I read the coating is slightly more dust resistant on the 5DIII. So I don't think I'll miss the 1Dx for this.
    The Canon product description pages list the same "new Fluorine coating" on the 5D Mark II page. Refs:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/..._5d_mark_ii.do Mark II
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...Advantage_Perf Mark III

It's the same old self-cleaning sensor. But hey, at least it's well tested.

You're still on a waiting list for a 5D3?? Seriously?!?! Didn't pre-order and purchased body, not a kit, off the shelf at the small local camera shop almost a month ago. Have you checked stock at local shops?

I suppose that anticipation does make the event that much more appreciated. I am sure that everyone still waiting for new 5D3 or 1Dx bodies will forgot the wait once they have new cameras in hand and start seeing the results on their screens and in print.

A new Rebel on the way by the end of the month. Any one taking wagers on whether the 1Dx will be available before yet another camera body is announced and available in the stores???

As I go through the decision process, the first step is a thorough evaluation of the differences between the two bodies. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Worth noting is that the AF sensor is the same for both bodies, meaning the same number and type of AF points, and importantly, the same -2 EV sensitivity. As previously mentioned, the metering is different, and the data fed to the AF by the 1D X metering sensor should result in superior AF tracking, including face tracking, not possible with the 5DIII.

Some noteable features shared by both are the two AFMA settings for zoom lenses (and serial number awareness), the ability to set a minimum shutter speed when using Auto ISO, and the multi-exposure capability.

For those using an Eg-S screen for manual focus with a 5DII, the fixed focus screen of the 5DIII is a disappointment - there will likely be third party screens available down the line, as there are for the 7D, but changing them out is not for the faint of heart, and is best done by sending the camera in to the screen vendor.

Still not certain which way I'll go in the end. The 1D X comes out to $2800 more expensive (adding $500 for the BG-11 grip to the 5DIII cost) - enough to cover a 24-70mm f/2.8L II and the new 600EX flash (which I'd be getting for the 1D X anyway). But aside from the savings in getting the 5DIII, I do have the budget to cover the 1D X, so that's not really a limiting factor.

Thoughts and advice from the forum?

I think Neuro's chart needs a few more comparison lines;
    5DIII 1DX
    Camera Actualy Exists Yes No
    You can own this camera Yes No
    Camera will be obsolete upon release No Yes

Saw that a manual for the 1Dx is now available. Does this mean that the body might actually start shipping in the near future? Could it possibly be in the stores before the T4i??

Guess we will have to wait and see what actually happens the same as always.

Best Buy is saying June 20th on the T4i, so no, the 1DX is not likely to come out before the T4i.

It could still make it, and I think it might since they choose to post the manual on Canon USA's website.

I think the first indication of shipment we might have, is when Neuro checks his bank account and $6,799 has disappeared, magically taken by B&H.

IIRC, Canon USA posted the 5DIII manual about a week before the camera started shipping in limited quantities.

I heard second hand from someone who preordered from B&H in the first few hours, as I did, that B&H replied to his email query that they are receiving limited quantities and expect to fill his order from the next 1-2 allotments.

Like Rick says, I'll believe it when they debit my account...

The Canon Japan website has now listed a specific date: "Will be released on June 20, 2012."