Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5DmkIII samples at all ISOs

5DmkIII samples at all ISOs

DPReview has a sample image at every ISO from 50, to 102400. They describe the shooting conditions here. Choose an ISO. Click the image twice to get to full size.

Just as a non-scientific "looks like it to me", the 51200 shot, looks like my T1i's 3200, which is pretty amazing.

Oh, and for the official Canon shots, Bryan has the English page in his news feed, but on page 4 of the Australian store leaking the 5DmkIII thread, there is this link to the Japanese samples page, which has a few more shots available, such as the ISO3200 tiger and wedding shots, which are marked as 'Coming Soon' on the English page.

edit: Added link to Canon Japanese samples

That ISO 51200 shot looks entirely usable to me. The colour contrast is a bit washed out (particularly in the shadows) but still, that's excellent. Even up to ISO 12800 really really good. I'm getting more and more convinced to upgrade every time more info comes out.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

OK, that iso100k is almost usable to me, bit more NR, shrink it to 4x6" to print it and it would look fine. i've seen worse shots come out of my 7D.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

From these samples I would say that ISO 6400 on the 5DIII looks a lot like ISO 1600 on my 5DII, which makes me extremely satisfied. Looks like Canon actually delivered the promised two stop improvement. Based on those samples the highest I'd be comfortable using is 12800, but that's incredible. Another thing I noticed is the apparent absence of pattern noise even when I push up the exposure, which should help improve the usable DR as well. Maybe this is because they were shot as JPGs and not RAW, but I'm optimistic.

Couple the improved ISO performance with vastly improved AF and 7D-like body and the 5DIII is everything I ever wanted in a 5DII upgrade. All the other features are just gravy. Really looking forward to this camera.
    - Trowski

Very impressive....BTW...notice on ISO 100 at the Bottom, "Captured: January 4, 2012"

They've had the 5DIII for awhile.

Anyone else find it interesting that noone's been allowed to touch the 1DX (or the NDA expiry was set later), but as soon as the 5D3 drops we've got samples appearing all over the interweb?
    My inner cynic is thinking like a canon marketer:
    "Pros are going to buy the 1DX anyway for the fps and the features, we don't have to impress them, they've got too much glass invested anyway. We know the d800 is going to be MP-king, we really have to impress with the 5D3's low-light capabilities straight off the bat, because that's where the money's going to be made"

Also, anyone find it strange that the 1DX was announced months ago, and is going to be available *after* the 5D3? They've probably done that on purpose, so that things like the digic5+ and 61pt AF are "debuted" in the 1DX and "trickle down" to the 5D3. If the 5D3 had come first and then the 61pt AF gets put in the 1DX *afterwards*, then the 1DX would have looked a lot more impressive (also the reason i'm still banking on 7D2 being next-announced, unless the 650D has the same 18MP sensor and everything else as before, just digic5)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Every time I get on the internet I find more stuff about this camera to get me excited.

I hate I only got to do 1 shoot with my 5D II before I sent it back, but if the ISO capabilities of this new 5D are half of what they appear to be, than it is STILL a huge step up in the quality sector. I will be able to shoot with my 70-200 f4 at shutter speeds high enough to be used indoors. That is crazy awesome!

I am super duper stoked about the increase in FPS. I had used the mk II to shoot a basket ball game and though the 3-4 ish FPS did a sufficient job to get a few good shots for me, I felt as though there were several that I would have had a better expression or ball location if I had the in between shots that would have happened with a 6 fps burst.

And on the topic of that basket ball game, even more of the shots I missed were due to the AF. I can't wait to see what will happen with the new AF system.

No more excuses for me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston View Post
    And on the topic of that basket ball game, even more of the shots I missed were due to the AF. I can't wait to see what will happen with the new AF system.

No more excuses for me I guess.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you'll still miss shots during games If you have 6fps you'll find that 10 or even 12fps would have catched the in between shots
    Anyway if I were in your shoes I'd do the same thing. The 5D3 definitely sounds like a good upgrade and it has very interesting features that you'd definitely could benefit from during b-bal games or indoor shooting with your 70-200. Does this mean you're camera-less for the remaining period? Because even 4fps is better than no frames at all

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    Does this mean you're camera-less for the remaining period?
    Nah.... I've still got the ole' trusty 50D to use. If I had to be completely cameraless... I might have had a bit harder of a time sending the mk II back.

I agree