Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The DIY Cookie Projector

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    I think my preference for your self-portrait over Noëlle's portrait does not really directly relate to the technique. As I said the portrait of Noëlle is interesting in how it's done, but I prefer your self-portrait. Why? I guess because the portrait of Noëlle does not really makes sense to me. Perhaps Noëlle is an IT-professional or huge Matrix-fan which would explain the binairy code to me. However I don't know that and therefor I don't really get the portrait. I hope that makes any sense
    Noelle is indeed a geek. She spends more time on her computer than I do. She's a fan of the original Matrix, but not the last two in the series (she swears up and down that they should have done a sequal to "The Matrix" because she doesn't recognize the last two as being worthy of the title). Of course, the cookie overlay would seem less out-of-place with a bit more context to the photo. I certainly see your point that my shot, on other hand, doesn't need the the context to make sense. ;-)

Haha nope even without the title it's pretty straight forward Noëlle definitely sounds like a geek so the photo makes much more sense now!
    Have you tried some other projections as well? Colors perhaps? There are some quite cool ideas on the Flickr thread on the Cookie Projector.

Sheiky-

I have about a dozen patterns, and I've tried most of them just to see how they'd do. I have yet to do a color one, but I have thought about it. I'm not sure if Staples has the ability to do a color copy transfer onto a transparency....If they can, I'll try it out. I thought color would be especially useful for doing custom cookies with company logos and such.

That sure does sound interesting. Initially I just thought about covering the patterns with flash gels, but that would color the entire pattern. I didn't even think about copy color onto the transparent stuff. That sounds like a lot of creative freedom. Keep us posted

Yeah, I have tried flash gels with them and they worked just as you'd expect. I added a 1/2 CTO and a yellow gel to a window pattern to simulate a golden light streaming through the panes.

But not really happy with the result? The window recreation sounds like one of the few things where it's not bad to have the colored gels cover the entire pattern.

Actually, I was just taking a picture of the pattern; I wasn't actually using it in a session. If I weren't shooting in a barn today, I would have tried it out for real.