Thread: Long Exposure

Long Exposure

My co-worker and I recently went out to shoot some fireworks and here's a two photo composite of what I got and did.

Shot the building and seascape for 43 seconds during the break of fireworks display and the fireworks itself is 5 seconds.

More photos are in this album: 3rd PyroMusical (Day 4).

Thanks for viewing and cheers!
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

I really like it. I only have one tiny complaint: It looks like you masked in the fireworks instead of using something like the "Lighten" blend mode. It looks odd having the darkest areas closely surrounding the fireworks display. The "Lighten" blend mode would have showed the illumination in the sky of the cityscape while preserving the light trails left by the fireworks, assuming you had a clean image of the shoreline before the fireworks started or after they finished.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 03-12-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Nice work.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I really like it. I only have one tiny complaint: It looks like you masked in the fireworks instead of using something like the "Lighten" blend mode. It looks odd having the darkest areas closely surrounding the fireworks display. The "Lighten" blend mode would have showed the illumination in the sky of the cityscape while preserving the light trails left by the fireworks, assuming you had a clean image of the shoreline before the fireworks started or after they finished.
    You're exactly correct Sean! I masked it out... I was trying to somehow incorporate the two shots I had. Actually, I am doubtful of the surrounding dark areas of the fireworks streaks might appear. At first glance, it doesn't appear much but on closer inspection, they're there! I have to try again tonight and blend the fireworks into the dark sky using that "Lighten" mode. Thanks for the tip, Sean! I'll post the results after my experiment on the different kinds of blending.

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    Nice work.
    Thanks Mark! It will need a few tweaks as observed by Sean.

Thanks again for viewing.
    Cheers!
    --

Nice shot Angelo! Curious to see what happens when you tweak it. Keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    Nice shot Angelo! Curious to see what happens when you tweak it. Keep us posted
    Thanks Jan! Here's the tweaked out photo. I may have not aligned and cropped it as the one before but I think that 'Lighten' blend did really a good job. Thanks Sean for the tip, that's one new lesson learned!

Looking closely at the tips of the fireworks streaks did a real nice job in blending it into the night sky.
    Cheers!
    --