Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographing Smoke

LOL! Now I can clearly see it is an elephant!! My daugher sees a butterfly but last night I could very clearly see two angels even though I clipped off part of the halos) ...must be the drugs my doctor put me on yesterday because it is now very clearly an elephant!

Here was what I saw ...

Name:  Angle in Smoke.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  7.7 KB

Haha this is so stupid, even with your edit I see the elephant. Once you see something in it, it just doesn't go away
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I remember asking the same kind of question back when I was a teenager in the 70’s.
    Don’t give in to peer pressure, stay away from drugs.
    I see you think you're on Planet Earth... go easy on the space-cake mr Nitehawk

Denise, as soon as you have a clear picture on what you see in the photo you should rotate it 180 degrees and try again. Up-side-down it's not that easyIt's completely different and I still haven't figured it out, nor does Lightroom. Useless program

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I remember asking the same kind of question back when I was a teenager in the 70’s.
    Don’t give in to peer pressure, stay away from drugs.
    Stay away from the light!

Denise you and I must be on the same page. I tried that last weekend for the first time with a candle. Didn't work out so well and just received my incense sticks in the mail today. I saw an elephant also for the record.

I see a cocktail glass with a bow on it.

Am I female?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Denise you and I must be on the same page. I tried that last weekend for the first time with a candle. Didn't work out so well and just received my incense sticks in the mail today. I saw an elephant also for the record.
    This was alot of fun (joint effort between me and my daughter)! The incense worked well. The smoke you see above was unaltered. I didn't know how to do the mirror thing in CS5, so my daughter did that for me and just cleaned up a few of the very light smoky areas on the outside of the main stream.

I am looking forward to doing more and applying various other pp effects. Also, looking forward to seeing what you come up with! There was an article on it in Petersen's Photographic magazine Vol. #3 recently ...that's what got me motivated to try it!

I see condensed nicotine, water vapor and/or soot particles.

Perhaps I've been in the fluid mechanics and diagnostics industry for too long?

FYI candles don't soot very well unless you blow them out. The bright yellow region of a candle flame is high in soot (it's the hot soot that's glowing yellow) but a well-designed flame finishes the burn out of the soot into CO or CO2.

If you have a candle made from a wax that is too low-temp or if there's an A/C unit or fan on the flame will not close at the top and may move around. These flames will continuously create soot but not a lot.

You can create as much soot as a blown-out candle but in a continuous fashion by "quenching" the flame. Take a metal knife and cut about halfway across the candle flame's yellowest part - tilt the blade up a bit so the sooty air flows off. You'll get a huge amount of soot - for a short period of time. The problem is that the knife blade gets hot and no longer stops the combustion process - the flame just bends around the knife so you've got to keep your flow blockage cooled. However, if you can manage it you'll get a much blacker and continuous supply of soot to play with.

Of course, if you're the camping type that has a kerosene lamp you can always just adjust it so too much of the lamp is exposed. That's another way to create a huge sooty mess - but one that can make interesting patterns.

Experiment with cookies through the soot - especially one that lets a single line of light through. The cross section of the soot field can be far more interesting than a flash exposure of the cloud as a whole.

p.s. probably way more info than you wanted but in graduate school I studied combustion...I just can't help myself.

I think I like using the incense much better ...at least it smelled like strawberry/kiwi in my kitchen when I was finished ...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    I see condensed nicotine, water vapor and/or soot particles.

Perhaps I've been in the fluid mechanics and diagnostics industry for too long?
    That was funny!